Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Noob tuning question, bare with me

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 09:59 PM
icyunvmyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob tuning question, bare with me

Im needing to tune to os .12 and i havent much of a clue on how to do it. I dont completely understand the air/fuel mixture thing so im gonna try and tune it by performance, ability to idle and most of all exhaust smoke. Right now im leaving a big cloud/trail of smoke behind me when i nail it so i need to make it more rich i beleive. I beleive i heard someone say if sitting at idle and then if givin full throttle it should put out a cloud of smoke and then a very small trail would follow it. I know a couple weeks/months down the road ill be wondering why i ever even had a problem with this but for now im stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I searched old threads and read the begginer forum about tuning but link was disabled/down. Sorry if this has been answered many times, need the help though
Old 12-18-2003, 10:40 PM
bruzer

Default RE: Noob tuning question, bare with me

If you want less smoke then you need to lean the mix. the best way to tune your engine is by performance. When you do this be sure that there is still a trail of smoke. If there is no smoke the richen the mix.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Jarret

Default RE: Noob tuning question, bare with me

Just make sure that there is always smoke coming out of the exhaust. You never want smoke coming from the head because then you are running too hot.

Slowly lean the high speed needle out until you think that you have the max performance. I by slowly only about 1/8 turn.

Then set the low speed needle if the engine has one. That is easy. After running engine for a couple of passes, bring it in, pinch the fuel line going to the carb and the engine should idle, and then speed up a little and shut off. It should take about 2-3 seconds for the engine to shut off.

After that adjust the idle speed, should be set low enough so that the engine doesn't shut off but still runs.

If you have any more questions just ask and most people on here will be able to ask.