Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Painting and Pinstriping over fabric??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting and Pinstriping over fabric??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 01:28 PM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting and Pinstriping over fabric??

I am covering my Gee Bee with Worldtex white iron on fabric, I am thinking about painting the red scallops with red Rustoleum. What is the best way to apply a pinstripe between the two colors. If i cut 1/8" strips from black Worldtex i can't apply heat because im sure it will bubble the paint? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Barzini
Old 12-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Painting and Pinstriping over fabric??

Carl Goldberg's pinstripe tape is very good as it sticks real well and goes around curves with ease, automotive pinstripe tapes would be the other choice, I favor using sticky back tapes over iron on trim tape for this type of finish, you can after cleaning the surface thoroughly with alcohol spray a coat of clear to seal the edge of the tape and prevent future lift ups. Have been doing this for almost 30 years, geee, time flyes when you're having fun!
Tip: try not to stretch the tape, as you'll find out next day that the trims have shortened. It is best to lay the tape so the color change rests in the center of the tape, allow over a half linch of tape at the beginning and at every end of the strip being laid at the time, always using a brand new Xacto # 11 blade next morning, trim the excesses by placing the blade over the tape with just a slight pressure and then lifting the tape, the cut will be smooth and clean, practice first on something else other than the model. Always bend the beginning and end of the tape over itself (before and after the laying of the tape over the surface), it is easier to remove when lifting the excess tape up against the blade to be cut. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 04:55 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Instead of using the Goldberg tape, I use automotive pin stripe tape. It comes in various widths and the color choices are more extensive. The rolls are longer, too, for the same price as Goldberg.

I agree with Walter D, on the application method.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you Tom, the reason I mentioned Goldberg's tape is because it does curves better than automotive as it is thinner, although 1/8 width shouldn't be a problem with either.