Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

dizzy newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
rnlocnil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dizzy newbie

Haven't flown my 1/2A Deweybird yet, but when I try to practice spinning I still get dizzy and a bit sick feeling when doing 3 or 4 second "laps" without the plane. I'm using a Cox off of one of those plastic jobs I found in the garbage. I guess part of the deal is to try to get the lines as long as I can and still pull. Does that mean I should get rid of the soft lines that come with the Brodak handle? How long can I safely make the lines? Is there another way to not get dizzy? Even when I look at my extended hand instead of the wall, I get dizzy by the time a minute goes by.

Another approach, which I'd rather not take, is to use my RC OS FP.10 and make a bigger model, tho I don't recall one for .010 size.

Thanks

P.S. I have lots of RC (and ff) experience, whatever that will be worth.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
rnlocnil

Default RE: dizzy newbie

oops, meant to hook up email to this. SOrry
Old 12-27-2003, 09:23 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

.049 powered models fly on specific length lines, be carefull about making the lines longer, it may not even fly with the long lines.

I would get rid of the soft string for the lines and use actual braided lines, like you said from brodak.

about getting dizzy:

1) .049 powered models still get me dizzy so some degree, I have flown 18 lb models on CL with 65 foot lines and they fly much slower and don't get dizzy at all. The bottom line is you have to keep you eye on the model, let the background become a blur and pay attention to the ground level for obvious reasons.

2) if you build a larger model then you find the lines are longer, the model flies slower and you won't get dizzy as much.

Good luck and stay above ground

Fred Cronenwett
Old 12-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to the Brodak site and order yourself a set of .008 stranded lines and make them 52 feet long. There will be less drag then when using the dacron, the length will drastically slow down your lap times, and you'll be happier.

If you still use the short lines, and have way too much speed to fly, try putting the prop on backwards. Many light trainers have more power than necesary for the straight and level, that will slow em down too.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:14 PM
rnlocnil

THanks for the tips. Maybe I will try fishing wire if it comes that thin. Will a 1/2A keep 52 ft lines tight? If so, you may have solved my problem. But it's not a Tee Dee or anything, so I do wonder.

How many ounces is "light" for a 1/2a trainer? I may have put too much dope on while trying to seal it.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:11 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In my experience there is no way any 1/2A will keep 52 foot lines tight. Even the TeeDee powered stunt models only ever flew on 35 to 40 foot lines IIRC. And this is just a simple trainer. Even if it did fly OK in level flight any wind at all and it would come in on the lines. Similarly if you climb very high at all the model will come in on the lines. I suppose if you made a special model that used 30 degrees or so of out thrust it could be done but it would take a VERY special sort of model I suspect.

Fishing WIRE does not come that thin but the new non stretch Spectra or Spider line does. Look for the 6 lbs test line that is sized as per the old 2 lb monofilament. That line is tough enough for 1/2A and will let you fly on 30 to 35 foot lines. And another advantage of this synthetic stuff is that it won't kink. 008 metal lines tend to kink very easily. One forgetful step and snag and the lines are ruined. IMHO they are just not worth the advantages for general flying and training.

Like clscale said, once you start flying and concentrating on the model you won't get dizzy as easily. But it also helps to train yourself to not focus on the background. It also gets better with time on the handle as your mind and balance gets used to the turning. Trying to get that feel without an airplane is difficult.

Good luck with your first flights.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:46 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rnlocnil,
Some more opinions:
The recent product engines Cox puts out seem to be pretty good little engines.
Although .008x 42' or so of braided SS lines are preferred, you may want to use about 35' of Dacron or Spiderwire while learning. I think the line that comes with the handle is still Dacron. Each time you step on them or tangle them, count that as an oops to handle them better. As mentioned previously, stainless lines are strong but fragile.
Try to fix your sight on the background and watch the plane fly by. Check out how dancers do it when they spin around. The dizziness will go away. It's just something your body is not used to.
Welcome to CL. Hope you enjoy it as much as RC and FF.

George

PS. BTW, check out the Brodak Flite Streak Jr. and Flite Streak Trainer for the OS .10. Just wire the throttle open and run it with a carb.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:00 PM
rnlocnil

I think this engine is probably between 10 and 20 years old. I guess I found it 6 or 8 years ago in the trash. When I practice spinning, I hold out my hand and watch that. I was thinking about Spiderwire or something as I bet it's almost as thin as the steel.

Something I've noticed is that the lead ins on CL models seem to be pretty far apart. I'd think that putting them closer together would cut drag quite a bit, out near the model. But I guess you'd have to have a real strange handle or else hold the handle horizontally to keep the wires even with each other. Not worth it for a Stunter, probably.

My model looks like it's going to weigh just under 5 oz. Way heavier than it could be.
ORIGINAL: gcb

rnlocnil,
Some more opinions:
The recent product engines Cox puts out seem to be pretty good little engines.
Although .008x 42' or so of braided SS lines are preferred, you may want to use about 35' of Dacron or Spiderwire while learning. I think the line that comes with the handle is still Dacron. Each time you step on them or tangle them, count that as an oops to handle them better. As mentioned previously, stainless lines are strong but fragile.
Try to fix your sight on the background and watch the plane fly by. Check out how dancers do it when they spin around. The dizziness will go away. It's just something your body is not used to.
Welcome to CL. Hope you enjoy it as much as RC and FF.

George

PS. BTW, check out the Brodak Flite Streak Jr. and Flite Streak Trainer for the OS .10. Just wire the throttle open and run it with a carb.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:25 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where the leadouts exit the wing and how close they are is important when you get to a serious stunter (oops, Precision Aerobatics plane) but where they are shown on the plans will suffice for now.

I'm guessing that the product engine you have has a white plastic backplate. Do you remember which plane it came out of? when you mount the engine, look into the slot where the fuel tubing connects to the needle valve and make sure the intake has space to get air. If not, you may need to add washers or a spacer so it can breathe.

George
Old 12-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you are gonna get dizzy the first few times. Do a little preparation. Figure out how long your engine will run on a full tank of fuel. Now, let your first flight be 30 seconds long. Keep after it until you can fly for 30 seconds without losing control of the airplane or falling down. Now go to 35 seconds, etc. I'd bet that by 4 or 5 flights you'll not be worried much about dizziness. If you have access to someone who knows how to fly, have them test fly your airplane. If they can be out in the circle and hold your hand for the first couple of laps, then gradually let you take control, you'll crash less. Also they could take the airplane back when you get dizzy.

If you are flying alone in the circle, what you want to do is hold your arm and wrist stiff and look right down your arm at the airplane. Point your arm where you want the airplane to go. Later you can start using wrist movements, after you understand what's going on. Flying CL is like swimming or riding a bicycle. You never forget how, and once you can, you don't understand why you had to learn in the first place.

Jim
Old 12-28-2003, 05:33 PM
rnlocnil

Thanks. The backplate is black and there is no tank. THere is a slot on the backplate for the air to go in. The engine came off what looks like a caricature of a Cessna 152 or similar. I got a little tiny wedge shaped tank to use from a friend. The engine is set up with a starter spring to run "backwards"!
ORIGINAL: gcb

Where the leadouts exit the wing and how close they are is important when you get to a serious stunter (oops, Precision Aerobatics plane) but where they are shown on the plans will suffice for now.

I'm guessing that the product engine you have has a white plastic backplate. Do you remember which plane it came out of? when you mount the engine, look into the slot where the fuel tubing connects to the needle valve and make sure the intake has space to get air. If not, you may need to add washers or a spacer so it can breathe.

George
Old 12-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Clean

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll check the length of my friends cables that we are using on his Goldberg Lil Jumpn Bean, I believe thats the one with the solid wing. It was running an old Golden bee that wasnt' putting out, we swapped it off the draggy dacron first and this was an improvement, and then went to a newer Black Widow which was nice, but could still use a bit. I also believe that the length was 52 feet and I thought that my .008's are at 48 that I use on my Norvel powered Skyray, which is still dizzyfying.

Easier to trim off than to splice on. Cut em at 42 and give it a flight.

Edit Update, model was a Lil Wizard
Old 12-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Bill_Jehle
My Feedback: (1)

I just started flying UC after a 40 year lay-off. Fuel up and see how long the engine runs. Don't launch it until the flight time is about 1 to 1.5 minutes (to start...or whatever you are comfortable with). As you get used to it, just extend the time. I built this Deweybird for my wife, Diane, for Christmas to teach her to fly UC. I am using a cheap Carl Goldberg handle with the line it came with and it works fine for the purpose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51275.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	85809