Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Adding Additional Sig Hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Adding Additional Sig Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 09:57 PM
RobertP9m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Additional Sig Hinges

I'm building my first LT 40 Arf. I've been advised to add more Sig Easy hinges to the elevator control surface. Would a tool like the Dubro Hinge Slotter be the ticket for adding a couple additional slots. This is inexpensive and can be used with X Acto #2 handle to dig a new trench. Also its been suggested to pin or tooth pick through the control surface and the hinge. How do you do that without messing up the Oracover? Do you need to seperate the Oracover away from the hinge slot to get the CA in properly or should it be left alone. Lastly the Sig instructions say to use 3 - 4 drops of thin CA on the hinge when the control surface is in the deflected position. Is this 3 - 4 drops on each end of the hinge or in the center to spread to each side? Thanks in advance, Rob P.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:39 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Additional Sig Hinges

Properly installed... the kit recommended number of hinges wioll be FINE. Toothpick or other pinning is unnecessary too.

On the hinge material, draw a line using a crayon or china marker (grease pencil) where the hinge line will be. (both sides) Carefully insert the hinge so this line shows just a bit between the surfaces. (if you used black... the whole visible part should be black!) A pin can be stuck through the hinge material to aid in the alignment. (pull pins just before applying glue)

USE THIN CA. For a normal appx 1 inch sq hinge piece, 6 drops per side. Drip it on slowly enough to give time to soak in... rather than run and make a mess.

if you follow those tips.. 4 CA hinges are adequate for a .40 size Pylon racer's elevator (170 to 200 mph plane...) If it'll hold for that... the LT-40 is NOT going to be a problem.