Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fiber Tape Wing Center

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fiber Tape Wing Center

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:04 PM
RobertP9m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiber Tape Wing Center

I've been advised to strip the Oracover off the center of the wing area on my LT 40 Arf. I picked up some 3" Fiber Tape to coat with thinned Epoxy finishing Resin and apply to this area. After sanding lightly would I be better off to try ironing on some additional Oracover to patch this area or use a wide trim tape over it? Do you have any tips on this process? Thanks again, Rob P.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:31 AM
FHHuber
Banned

1) I avoid tinning any epoxy or polyester resin. Too easy to create problems. Besides... finishing resin is normally thin enough to not need to be thinned any more.

2) To get the covering to stick after fiberglassing the center... you need to sand with 180 grit then 240 grit. The goal is to scuff up the surface, smooth out the edges a bit and that's it. Be careful not to sand into the balsa much... its easy to create a divot right along the edge of the cloth.

3) You are better off patching with heat shrink covering that matches the original. The colored self-stick trim is best used only on top of other covering, as the glue will often release and allow fuel seepage.

4) Double-check what the original covering is... You want to use the same stuff for color matching and for not having problems with different sealing and shrinking temps. I thought Sig was using Monokote on thier ARFs...
Old 02-26-2003, 09:24 PM
RobertP9m

Thanks FH! That's what the Sig states is that its using Oracover, which I found out is the same as the UltraCote. I've never done any covering before. Do I just over lap the pieces. I have no equipment. I see Hobbicos heat gun is 1000 watts. I have a hair dryer that's 1200 Watts will that work or do I need and Iron? Thanks in advance, Rob P.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Bill L

Robert, I use a clothes iron my wife gave me, and a 1200 watt hair dryer. The ultra cote has written instructions in each roll. They will tell you you need a sealing iron and a heat gun. When you get the sealing iron it will tell you to experiment to find the best temperature for activating the "glue" on the Ultra cote, monocoat, or whatever covering you use, so I say, I can experiment with the clothes iron, and save $25 or so.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Covering is an art, few get it the first time. I sure didn't. I can't see how a long handled sealing iron would help. It would only postpone my purchase of the next airplane kit by $25 or so. Trim tape attaches well to the varrious vinyl type covering materials, but not well to wood.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It sounds like you are on the way to a structurally sound aircraft, and yes you can both cover the fiber tape, and add a decorative touch to the wings of your
LT40 ARF[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:
Old 02-27-2003, 09:01 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I've been using a small travel iron for over 25 yrs... never have used a heat gun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You don't need to buy the expensive covering iron or heat gun.

You need a minimum 1/8 inch overlap of the covering... 1/2 inch is what I recommend. (leaves room in case the edge starts to peel a bit)

For the patch on your plane... make an extra seam at top center or you'll have trouble getting all the wrinkles out. Small areas such as what you are doing... shouldn't have much trouble getting it smooth. Tack down a corner, then th opposite corner (pulling snug) then work around gently tugging out wrinkles. Heat seal the edges REALWELL (except appx 1/4 inch to let air out...). Then shrink the center of the patch working from the far end toward your air outlet. Then seal down the outlet. No holes to poke to let air out... no bubbles. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Bill L

FH, I was modeling only a few months, when I asked my wife about her handy, smooth, clean travel iron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Her summary statement was, "Don't touch that travel iron!"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] That was how I got the clothes iron she hadn't used for a while.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 11:46 PM
FHHuber
Banned

LOL... I went out and bought my travel iron at a garage sale... about $2, 5 yrs ago. (good investment. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )
Old 02-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Bill L

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I told my wife FHH has a travel iron. She told me she wants the one she gave me back, and
I CAN HAVE THE TRAVEL IRON! Thanks so much for giving me the courage to go to her with this modeling problem
because it was resolved so quickly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]