Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Removing oil soaking from balsa

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Removing oil soaking from balsa

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 03:29 PM
rcglert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing oil soaking from balsa

What is the best method to remove oil from oil soaked wood. I am recovering a project and want to get a dry enough surface for the monokote to stick well. Any ideas and/or products that will do the job will be appreciated.

Tom
Old 02-27-2003, 09:24 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Corn meal, heat, alcohol.

Spread corn meal on the fuel soaked wood to get the worst of it off. Apply heat, (appx 180 to 200 deg is PLENTY) it drives more oil out.

For problem areas, swab with rubbing alcohol and then use more corn meal and heat.

REpeat as needed...

You can NEVER get all the oil out, and some oil damage is irreversible. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But you can get enough out that glue will stick again. Balsa that has started to essentially dissolve... cut out and replace. Ply that is delaminating must be replaced. (Its VERY hard to get the oil out of aircraft ply... easier to replace it 90% of the time)
Old 02-27-2003, 10:40 PM
rcglert

Thanx!

I don't need to replace wood at this point. I used heat and paper towels to absorb what came out. I then used denatured alcohol with a clean paper towel after each wipe. The mono now sticks well. I am going to really fuel proof where the covering meets the firewall. I am also going to use a tuned oipe on this model to keep that nasty exhaust well behind the affected area. I only wish I would have taken better precautions against the oil seapeage several years ago when I originally built the model!

Tom
Old 03-06-2003, 04:45 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rx2 Spot Lifter. It's designed to remove from grease ect. from clothing. It is sprayed on & turns to a white powder when dry & really does a good job of removing oil from balsa. Just brush of the powder & the oil is removed. It can be dificult to find, I found it at Ace Hardware. Give it a try. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:05 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You mean the old K2R? If so... its been out of production for about 3 years now. Some environmentalist decided to claim it was hazardous.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:28 PM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

Try bicarbonate (baking soda). Sprinkle liberally.... will cake... break it up with finger, vacuum.... Do not use for cooking after!
Albert