Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

differential throw in ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

differential throw in ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 04:13 PM
RCflyguy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential throw in ailerons

I understand that putting a differential throw in ailerons will improve flight characteristics on some models. I'd like to try it. The question is, do i want more up than down throw or more down throw than up in the ailerons. The answer will be very helpful. The reason will be even more to. Hope someone out there can help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2003, 05:19 PM
IMBoring25

The standard differential throw is more up than down. The primary reason for this is to reduce adverse yaw and the rudder required to coordinate with an aileron input. Just a couple of degrees or so, though.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:19 PM
FHHuber
Banned

LOL @ just a couple of degrees... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I've put in enough differential on some planes that the downward moving aileron starts to go back UP and gets back to neutral at "full deflection". (great for things like trainers and scale powered Piper Cubs... where you REALLY want to prevent any adverse yaw.)
Old 02-28-2003, 09:28 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To elaborate a little bit flyguy- The downward moving aileron is generally considered to cause more drag than the upward moving aileron. Therefore, in a banking turn, the upper wing, the wing carrying the downward moving aileron, will lag behind the other wing causing the nose to move upward and the tail to droop down. That's "adverse yaw". Differential throws and a little "same direction" rudder helps to alleviate the problem.