Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Problems With Zenoah G-26

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 03:03 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems With Zenoah G-26

I have enjoyed many years of success with the Zenoah G-23's, but I needed a bit of added power for my Fokker D-VIII. Santa brought me a new Zenoah G-26. And then the trouble with this new engine's carburetor emerged! Horizon claimed that the inability of the engine to run wide open-no choke was due to a 'cracked insulator block'. Not so, replacing the insulator with one from my G-23 did NOT solve the problem. The engine runs great with the G-23 carb however producing 8,000 RPM with a Zinger 18X5 prop (the G-23 produced 7,600 with the same prop). Conclusion: the Walbro carb supplied with my new G-26 has an internal defect. I will send it back to Horizon in hopes of a replacement.[:'(]
Regards,
Jim
Old 01-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Problems With Zenoah G-26

The carb used on the G26 works fine when adjusted correctly..I have converted about 20 G26 engines, all using the standard carb..It acts funny, however, because when the high needle is opened too far it gets so rich it will die...A stock G23 turns my Mejzlik 18-6 7200 rpm, a G26 turns 9000 with the same prop..When they send you another carb try leaning the high needle instead of opening it...That said, the G23 carb works well on the G26 and is more user friendly...
The stock muffler takes about 800 rpm away from the G26, it will turn much faster with a muffler from Abell RC Hobbies..typically about 8800 rpm with the Mejzlik...
8500 rpm with a Slimline Pitts style....
I have been working with Walbro carbs for 17 years on all kinds of engines, have yet to see an internal defect....
Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 PM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

The carb used on the G26 works fine when adjusted correctly..I have converted about 20 G26 engines, all using the standard carb..It acts funny, however, because when the high needle is opened too far it gets so rich it will die...A stock G23 turns my Mejzlik 18-6 7200 rpm, a G26 turns 9000 with the same prop..When they send you another carb try leaning the high needle instead of opening it...That said, the G23 carb works well on the G26 and is more user friendly...
The stock muffler takes about 800 rpm away from the G26, it will turn much faster with a muffler from Abell RC Hobbies..typically about 8800 rpm with the Mejzlik...
8500 rpm with a Slimline Pitts style....
I have been working with Walbro carbs for 17 years on all kinds of engines, have yet to see an internal defect....
I appreciate your thinking, however---
The engine would run only with the choke butterfly 1/4-1/2 open, and various high needle settings were set-7/8 turn to 2 turns open. In all cases, moving the choke to full open resulted n a dead engine. I cannot rule out the evidence of a carb defect based on Walbro history. What would you charge to examine this Walbro and help isolate this problem?
Regards,
Jim
Old 01-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Antique

Shipping only... I can put it on my engine and see what's happening...
Old 01-10-2004, 08:53 PM
hookemut

Hi,
Great, like you, I have never had what turned out to be a 'bad' Walbro, however, can always be a first time, perhaps.
Would you use my e-mail and send me a 'ship to' address? I really appreciate your offer to try my carb!
Regards,
Jim
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Antique

E Mail didn't work from your message, check your PM
My ISP says airmail.net does not exist....
Old 01-14-2004, 05:41 PM
hookemut

In my recent post I indicated that 'the Walbro carb supplied with my new G-26 has an internal defect'
What it had was my error in orienting the throttle butterfly when I fastened the throttle shaft to the throttle actuating lever.
The throttle shaft MUST be oriented so that the the little Phillips head screw which holds the brass butterfly onto the throttle shaft faces the engine and not the venturi.
You have a 50-50 chance when you use the aftermarket throttle conversion kit. With your wits about you, you enjoy a 100% sucess rate.
Sorry for my dumb error. The Fokker loves the new G-26!!
Regards,
Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

You will not find a nicer or more knowledgeable guy than RCIGN1. He gives out more free help than he charges for.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:24 PM
shenion

ORIGINAL: hookemut

In my recent post I indicated that 'the Walbro carb supplied with my new G-26 has an internal defect'
What it had was my error in orienting the throttle butterfly when I fastened the throttle shaft to the throttle actuating lever.
The throttle shaft MUST be oriented so that the the little Phillips head screw which holds the brass butterfly onto the throttle shaft faces the engine and not the venturi.
You have a 50-50 chance when you use the aftermarket throttle conversion kit. With your wits about you, you enjoy a 100% sucess rate.
Sorry for my dumb error. The Fokker loves the new G-26!!
Regards,
Jim
Don't fret the "dumb error". This is a common occurance, I bet Ralph has seen dozens. If he can't fix it, it can't be fixed!

I received two Ryobis with the same problem. It manifested as not being able to run below 1/4 throttle.

The big thing is to make sure that the butterfly closes in the area of the 2-3 holes in the side of the throat. Makes it esy to check visually.

Never really cared for the G-23's, too heavy. The extra 3cc's of the 26 seems to get the power/weight good. I have seen one or two and was impressed.

Seen the Fokker on a Homlite (waaay to scale power.) Yours should be lots of fun.