Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

when the frame is ready can I coat it?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

when the frame is ready can I coat it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when the frame is ready can I coat it?

Im building a gullows giant scale Hell Cat but its small only has a 2 foot wing span.
Can I coat the frame work with clear coat,sprayed on to harden the wood and seal it. Or is this the wrong thing to do.I was even thinking of spraying it silver to make it look like alluminum. I realize this adds weight too,but it may not fly anyways. But will this make covering it a problem,like the cover not sticking?
also I want to get some colored covering material do you use dope on the color ones that look like plastic?
The outher thing is ,the kit is for rubber power,U-control,or free flight gas powered.
Is it possible to make this plane R.C. or is it two small. they only include the bell crank for the rear ailerons the tail rudder can be made to swing but nothing is included to hook it up.I guess you have to have a lot of experience to make it work?
im also making the movable elevators version but thats the static version since they dont give you any thing there either.
what im asking is am I trying to get to much out of a small kit and would it be wasting money to try and hook up all the functions to be R.C.?
The first question is important too...Thanks any help would be apreciated.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:53 PM
probligo

Default RE: when the frame is ready can I coat it?

1. If you are going to power with rubber, it pays to give the whole frame a light spray with weak dope to seal it to stop the rubber lube soaking the wood (a little extra now saves a heap later...)
2. RC is possible on a model this size but I would respectfully suggest experts only. You would certainly be looking at non-standard (ie not a major manufacturer and difficult to find) micro rx and servos.
3. Alternative power - CO2 and very small diesel. I would prefer to not even consider ic power but that is just me...
4. The only suitable covering for a model this size is tissue. Colour using inkjet printer. Apply and dope as normal.
5. There is a proven method of pendulum control used in Britain mainly. Again not my idea of fun.

GO THE FREEFLIGHT WAY - much better. Just remember to build in all the lightness you can find.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Bule

Hi, maybe you can finish it like a Park Flyer, (an electric motor, ESC (electronic speed control), micro RX and micro servos), but you will need to reinforce some areas of the structure, and cover it with tissue or "coverlite" using balsarite, look at Towerhobbies section of parkfliers, and you can found a lot of building accesories and radio gear for it, since lite wheels, landing gear, hinges, control horns, pushrods, etc. Only you imagination and building skill can limit you. You can make movable control surfaces of rudder, elevator and ailerons. Its just my opinion. I would try it, it sound a very interesting project, and Parkflyers are the Boom now.

Raul
Old 01-15-2004, 11:33 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even think about trying to make it RC. There are guys that have been flying micro RC planes for a long time, and have tried converting the old Guillows kits to RC; maybe one in ten is successful, and that's been after replacing most of the wood in the kit. (Guillow's kits have notoriously heavy balsa.) If you decide to try, it will require some of the lightest, and smallest RC gear available. Try looking at a site called "Skyhooks and Rigging", but the stuff is fairly expensive and control is usually limited to elevator and rudder. And to tell you the truth, not many of those kits fly very well as free flights either. You might be best off just using it as a display model. [&:]
Dennis-