Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly ESC Current Limiting ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly ESC Current Limiting ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 AM
leith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly ESC Current Limiting ?

I have a stock GWS dragonfly with ESC/Mixer on one board and separate Gyro.When powering up, The LED on the ESC blinks red for a few seconds, then stays green. I think everything ok so far. As I throttle up, the heli gets light or just lifts off, but at this point the LED on the ESC turns red and further throttle does nothing. It appears as though the ESC is current limitig at a point where there is not enough power for lift off.
I have tried standard 7 cell NiMh,and 2 and 3 cell lipo and all behave the same . I think the motor wants too much current for liftoff.

Help.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:28 AM
flyingchaos

Default RE: Dragonfly ESC Current Limiting ?

I believe you are correct in saying that the red light at approx 3/4 throttle means it is current limiting, but I've got enough power from my 750ma packs to lift. I have not gone higher than 1 foot however...

I have separates:
gws 6c naro reciever
esc/mixer
gws pg03 gyro

Say are you noticing that the gyro also seems to control both the tail and main motors? The rudder control will control just the tail motor, as expected. The throttle controls both mains and tail as expected also.

-Dan
Old 01-16-2004, 09:45 AM
leith

I'dbe happy if it would go up a foot. I have not noticed the gyro having an effect on main rotor speed but will pay attention next time I fire it up, or maybe burn it if I cant get it off the ground HAHA
Old 01-16-2004, 01:03 PM
flyingchaos

I have determined my gyro/mainmotor/tailmotor problem!

The pre-wired configuration was WRONG! This is wierd. The throttle connector was connected to the rudder channel on the Rx, and vice versa with the rudder connector!

Yet I was able to control the rudder and throttle like normal, except that I kept noticing the gyro compensating using the tail and the main motor.

So I swapped the connectors and made sure the rest of the connections were correct, NOW she flies beautifly.....I am dead serious how stable these things are... I'm a seasoned LMH 100 gas heli flier, but this heli can be controlled/mastered by anyone. Thats how stable it is.

Important! Make sure you balance your main rotors and tail rotors. I balanced using a dubro. and the methods found on http://www.helihobby.com/html/balancing_blades.html.
I balance the main rotor without the main blades as well(why not...I was at it anyway)

Beleive it or not, I had to add a small peice of tape to balance the tail also. A tip is to use the CF rod that us used to hold/attach your canopy and use it as the shaft on the tail blade. I just used two books or smooth surface about an inch apart to place the shaft/tail blade for balancing....
I added tape to where the CG would have been if the tail blades were separate.

What capacity batteries are you running? Your heli may be either:
- too heavy,
- blades not balanced, and/or not tracking
- blade angle too low,
- or you are running a lower capacity battery(voltage wise and current wise). I have 7-cell AAA battery pack that are rated at 750ma.

I cannot imagine that its your esc.

BTW I hover just about half stick and the heli CAN climb with more throttle.
I have the GWS EM150 motor, not sure what size that translates to in comparison to the SPEED250/290/300 metric.

Good luck to you.