Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! Mounting BVM wheels/tires

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HELP!!! Mounting BVM wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:19 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! Mounting BVM wheels/tires

Ok, I'm pretty mechanically savvy but I am about to kill somebody or something.

I absolutely CANNOT get my 2 5/8" BVM tires mounted on BVM sport jet wheels! I've tried vaseline, oil, a vice, a 2 T hydraulic press, screwdrivers to pry the tire on, and and lots of cussing and temper tantrums. Both the cat and wife will not come within 20 feet of me now. [&o]

All I have to show for it is one ruined tire (cuts all over the inner bead) and a severely scratched and dinged up wheel.

I know it can - MUST - be able to mount these $%^&**'s but how???

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Barry
Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: HELP!!! Mounting BVM wheels/tires

Barry,
Take it a tire shop.

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

Ok, I'm pretty mechanically savvy but I am about to kill somebody or something.

I absolutely CANNOT get my 2 5/8" BVM tires mounted on BVM sport jet wheels! I've tried vaseline, oil, a vice, a 2 T hydraulic press, screwdrivers to pry the tire on, and and lots of cussing and temper tantrums. Both the cat and wife will not come within 20 feet of me now. [&o]

All I have to show for it is one ruined tire (cuts all over the inner bead) and a severely scratched and dinged up wheel.

I know it can - MUST - be able to mount these $%^&**'s but how???

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Barry
Old 01-16-2004, 10:37 PM
dbarrym

Tam - You so funny! Haha....

BTW, my Viper arrived today, have not opened the box yet ...trying to avoid getting distracted from getting these freakin' tires mounted!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barry

I gotta agree with ya man on that!!!@@! Changing the rubber on BVM wheels can be the death of ya!!It is absolutely crazy how involved it is.I literally spent over a hour changing 2 a few weeks back.All this after I beat the hell outta my wheels & hands!! I had 3 different size screwdrivers out,vises,etc etc. Hopefully one day they will introduce something to make this easy,cause right now it is flat out nuts [>:] I hope I dont have to go thru that again anytime soon

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 10:46 PM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Here is a tip, Works for me. Use Pledge furniture polish and spray the tire really good, then lay rim on the floor, place tire on top of rim and just step on it.PRESTO!!. I have even push them on with my hands. This stuff will even evaporate so no reside problem either.Hope this helps. Let me know what you think? Scott
Old 01-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barry,

First--Take a deep breath.....RELAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXX!!!!![8D] As a former president once said...."I feel your pain!!!!"

I use a combination of Windex and dish soap and liberally (No pun intended toward the former president) wet both the tire and the wheel. There are a few ways to get the tire on the rim----One is to use a vice/ press....The other is to use two pieces of wood, the floor and your foot.

The first method with the vice or press is to get two pieces of something like a 1" X 4" piece of wood large enough to protect the wheel/tire. It helps to have an extra set of hands so you had better kiss and make up with the wife, cat or whatever...[X(] Place one piece of wood flat against one of the vice jaws. Next, place the wheel against the first piece of wood with the tire at an angle (very important) to the wheel. You'll never get the tire to go on the wheel with the tire flat against the wheel. Try to get the tire on as far as your hands will allow. Now, place the other piece of wood against the tire while slowly closing the vice's jaws. As you slowly add pressure, manipulate the piece of wood like a lever that is against the tire so that the tire is stretched over the rim. When you hear a pop you are done.

The next method requires no help in case the wife and cat are still skeered... Again, get two pieces of wood. ( I use a 2 X 6, 2 X 8, 2 X 10, etc...) Place one of the pieces of wood flat on the concrete floor. Place the tire and rim on the wood, with the tire positioned on the rim at an angle as before. (Part of the tire is started onto the rim.) Place the other piece of wood onto the tire at the same angle the tire is to the wheel. Now, stand on the last piece of wood, "rolling" the wood toward the high side of the assembly. It may take all of your weight but if you do it properly the tire will snap onto the rim. Remember, you must always sart with the tire at an angle and have the assembly thoroughly soaped down.

Finally.....Good luck as this can be a b!tch!!!! As a side note, I've found that the larger tires are easier than the smaller ones....And one more thing---It helps if the tires are warm!!! I put my tires in the dryer for a few minutes. Sounds like hell with them flopping around but it gets them warm!!!

Let us know how you do....

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Steve S

Kevin

Man the sound of BVM wheels dancing in a dryer cant be any worse than big shoes/boots flopping in the dryer!!! LOL

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Kevin Greene

Steve,

I know what you mean about shoe/boots in the dryer... The trouble is that since I have hardly ever used the dryer since I got married, my wife will ask me twenty questions about what's IN the dryer. When I tell her it's "airplane parts" she comes unglued like I'm going to blow up the house or something to that effect. What gets me is that the washer/dryer aren't even hers as they were mine before we got married. I finally got the big picture....What's hers is hers and what's mine is also hers....[&o]

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how I do it.
I put a long 3/16 cap screw through the axle hole and mount the screw in a vice. Make sure you push the wheel firmly against the vise before tightening to eliminate as much slop as you can. I then "peel" (for lack of a better term) the rubber off the rim just using my hands. Hopefully the pic I attached will explain things a little better.
Hope this helps!
Myles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88340.gif
Views:	29
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	91310  
Old 01-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Steve S

Kevin,

I hear ya there man!! LOL

My GF moved in with me jan 2003 & she only moved in with her clothes.Everything is mine mine mine LOL!!! Esp. my 2 big screen tv's,killer stereo & surround system,WASHER & DRYER & MY pit bull!!!In addition to be highly addicted to jets & RC planes I also am very addicted to audio/video & into very big saltwater fish tanks-I have 4 in my house-largest of which is a 175 gallon reef tank on an imported italian bar-very beautiful setup.The tanks take almost if not more maintenance/time as the planes do!!! I love the saltwater species-my fav is my Clown Triggerfish whom I raised from a baby when he was only 3 inches now hes about 20 inches & a very big grouper-I go thru about 20 big goldfish a week feeding these babies! My parrot & cockatoo had to go-got to my last damn nerve LOL.I suppose one day all this could become my GF's property just as equally Man how did I get so far off topic??Ohh well I think its just nice sometimes to talk about our various interests & things other than RC

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Kevin Greene

I hear ya about the A/V system!!! I just bought a Yamaha A/V receiver with more power (AHRRR, AHRRR, AHHHRRR---More power as Tim Taylor would say!!!) The wife even gave me a Play Station II for Christmas....Nothing shakes the house better than the two 150 watt 10" subwoofers when playing "Medal of Honor, South Pacific"!!! Drives her nuts but my son thinks it's cool..[8D]

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Steve S

Kevin

I hear ya bud!!

I got a 61" downstairs & a 36" upstairs.I have dvd players on both.My 61" tv has the Bose acouticmass 10 with 2 powered subs along with 2 Sony 200 watt towers.Talk about shaking the walls!!who needs to go out too see a good movie!! LOL..Ohh & I also have a playstation 2 downstairs & a Xbox upstairs.My DVD collection has topped 60 now,and just got a new computer with one of the new 21" Sony plasma monitors with Harmon Kardon surround sound-sweet!!

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Kevin Greene

I'm comin' over to YOUR house to play!!!

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Steve S

Kevin,

LOL .But ya got a playstation already!! I was on the XBOX earlier as a matter of fact playing Wings at war-a game about the gulf war-get to go up against Iraqi Mig29's ,tanks & SAM sites.this game rocks man on the 61" big screen!!!!..I love flying the A10 on there the best tho I must say ,but the F18 is a very close second

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Steve S

Sheesshhh

We have gone from BVM tires to playstations tonight!!![8D] Man did we get off topic or what,ohh well all in good fun

Steve
Old 01-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Kevin Greene

Off topic---That's OK 'cause we're just waiting around to see if Barry managed to get his tires installed yet.

I've got to get some cool flying games for the PS-II---Know of any??? Do they make the same games for X-Box and PS-II?...I guess they do through EA Sports.

Kevin
Old 01-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Steve S

Kevin,

I think that EA puts out alot of the same games for the PS2 & Xbox.I am not sure if the flying games are as good on PS2 however,I have seen some better ones on the Xbox so far.I just bought the Xbox for xmas tho.Now if I can just figure a way to rig my GP G2 simulator to work on my 61" I'd be in heaven!! I just got the new Version 5 that has the BVM Kingcat on it!!! It is totally awesome -guess I gotta settle for it on the 21" computer monitor

Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 12:11 AM
Steve S

And yeah I have had 4 coronas while we wait for Barry to get them pesky tires changed!!

just kidding man.One thing I have certainly had to work on in this hobby is good patience!!I use to have none whatsoever.Now I can tolerate mishaps w/o chucking a scredriver or hammer across the room.I felt so stupid one time years back cause I got P/O'd & kicked my TGA Mig29.I thought about it aftewards & was like well that was REAL smart Steve,now you totaled your only jet to fly this coming weekend hmmm. LOL Needless to say now I have 98% positive patience!! It took alotta hard work ,but I knew if not this hobby was gonna be realllll expensive

Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 12:12 AM
dbarrym

Ok Boys, back to work. Success at last...thanks for all the tips!

Tried the two boards method, almost broke my neck....need wider boards! Tried the vise again with the tire well greased and at avery angle...still couldn't get it. But got a nice 3/8" deep puncture wound in my thumb from a sharp screwdriver.

Here's what finally worked....I heated the tires to 200 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes, then back to the vice where I tried the "tire at a slant" method between two 1.5"x 3" squares of 1/4" thick ply. With some pressure and two screwdrivers, here's the result:

Name:	Fd92783.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	91325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31977.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	91326  
Old 01-17-2004, 12:30 AM
dbarrym

Oh yeah - how do you delete/edit out pictures?

I did not mean to upload the first pic - it shows the tire on the rim but not aligned or seated correctly - had to wiggle & pry with a small flat blade screwdriver to get it right. What looks like a deep cut in the 1st picture is actually the molded ridge that is supposed to seat on the outer lip of the wheel.

Thanks again!

Oh Yeah, Steve - Watching "Gladiator" on my 62" Mitsu HDTV, with the B&O audio processor, yamaha video processor, Yamaha DVD carousel and Bose 901' mains/Yamaha rear projection speakers.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses around here!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Steve S

Barry,

Right on man!! Its all about A & V as a second hobby,ya got me beat tho -I dont have a HDTV-my 61" is a Sony -about 4 years old now!! My second hobby use to be playing "A league" icehockey-my game ceased to exist when I took a high stick to the neck in a championship game.I thought the dude crushed my throat,I couldnt breath for what seemed like 30 mins.Needless to say somehow I managed to get enough will power up to clock the guy 3 times & put the lights out for him-lil' punk-the ole pumped up adrenalin I guess!! I miss hockey sometimes mannn!It was a blast of a sport to play no doubt,makes me wish I had started early in life now ,I may have been able to take my game all the way.Rc flying is a bit safer overall I guess

Steve
Old 01-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You cut the old ones off with a hack saw, being careful not to knick the rim. Boil the new tires in water for a little bit. I place the rim on the floor and step on the tire with my heal, it snaps right on?? I also use the next size up to drill bit for the holes.All this works for me.
V..
Old 01-17-2004, 10:40 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vincent

You cut the old ones off with a hack saw, being careful not to knick the rim. Boil the new tires in water for a little bit. I place the rim on the floor and step on the tire with my heal, it snaps right on?? I also use the next size up to drill bit for the holes.All this works for me.
V..
Ah, someone finally got the right answer! I boiled my BVM tires and they became plyable enough to twist and push on with my fingers. Then I wrapped some electrical tape around the outside tightly to press them back against the hub and put them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Then I took them out and drilled those PIA holes for the screws and VIOLA, done!

Bob
Old 01-17-2004, 12:12 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Getting close guys but hears the real secret to getting bvm tires on the rim......

Find a spinner that is close to the same size as the rim, slightly bigger is required. With the backplate off, soap up the spinner with dish washing liquid. Place the spinner over the rim, slide the tire over the spinner and push the tire down the spinner. It will pop right over the rim with ease. No heating, cussing, pissin or moaning requird [sm=stupid.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=tongue.gif]. Give it as try, you'll never use another method again.....
Todd
Old 01-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a picture. Like Todd says you can use a spinner of the correct size.[8D]

Name:	Ay74974.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	91452  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.