Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Stupid Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:50 PM
bkdraft
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Mistake

Flew my Lanier Giant Stinger for first time today. It flew great with the Zenoah G-62, pulling vertical as long as I wanted. It was very easy to fly with no bad habits. I only had to trim the up elevator a very little bit for hands off level flight. I run couple of touch and goes with no problems, went to come in for re-fuel and came in little slow and dropped it hard enough to break the prop. Only other prop I had was one left over from flying 15 years ago. It looked ok....wrong. Soon as it left the ground it started vibrating real bad, backed off the throttle and headed down wind, then lost all control. I am assuming the battery connection vibrated loose. It was coming down fairly level and thought it would be ok, but too close to grain elevator tank, BOOM. Fuselage destroyed. Wing and tail feathers ok, engine OK. I ordered the fuselage sides tonight from Lanier, gona rebuilt it for sure. It was such a pleasure to fly, if only for the 15 minutes it was in the air. I will never again put a used prop on one of my planes.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Bill L

Default Stupid Mistake

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Up north here, Flying days have been rare, scarce, and still cold. Sorry yours was disasterous, but thanks for the warning![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 11:15 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Stupid Mistake

I would send the reciever in to be checked. The vibration could have scrambled it and the battery unplug could have happened in the crash. later daveo
Old 03-10-2003, 06:55 PM
bkdraft

Default Stupid Mistake

I have it sitting here right now ready to send in. I checked it when I got back and it worked, but I want to make sure its ok.
James
Old 03-25-2003, 10:56 PM
bkdraft

Default Stupid Mistake

Update: everything is back together, just waiting on the reciever to come back. This time I have two switches and two batteries, and all the connections are taped together. Also the reciever and batteries will be better secured! Radio South said 3 week turnaround on the repairs, so maybe by next week it will show up.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:40 PM
bkdraft

Default Stupid Mistake

Here it is April 12 and still no receiver back from Radio South. Last week they assured me they would look at it this week and let me know something. I have not heard from them. Hopefully it will be here next week, I am ready to get the Stinger back in the air.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:11 PM
bkdraft

Default Stupid Mistake

June 29 and finally back in the air. The Stinger flew great and I even got it back down in one piece [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Flew my Long John, then helped some beginners to get in the air, then back to the Stinger. Hmm, left aileron servo went haywire, very erratic and mostly does not work at all. Oh well, got to fly several other planes and the Stinger is still ready to go. Sometime this week I will replace the servo or figure out what wrong with it. I already switched wires with the other side and eliminated any radio or receiver problems, has to be servo gone haywire.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:52 PM
southern_touch99

Default Stupid Mistake

Stingers are great airplanes. I own a giant stinger and am running a G-62 on it slinging a 22 6-10 prop (this is the best prop for this airplane with the G-62). I fly 3D stuff constantly and have more high performance aircraft but I still pull out my stinger every now and then. I hope you get yours up and running to its full potential.