Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Work Table Idea ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Work Table Idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work Table Idea ?

I have an idea for a work table....please let me know what you think about flatness.

The idea is 1/2" MDF sandwiched between two hollow core doors. This would be glued and clamped i suppose. Then take this structure and sandwich between 1/2" MDF sheets. glued and clamped. Lay this down on top of a flat base for a work surface. I would probably put a hardwood edge around the entire thing. The thickness of the whole thing will be nice for using a woodworkers benchvise on the end and side.

MDF
-------
DOOR
-------
MDF
-------
DOOR
-------
MDF
-------

-Rocko
Old 01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Work Table Idea ?

What'ja buildin'? Full scale? Sounds like WAY overkill to me.

Frame it up with 3/4" and call it a day.....

Gary
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like overkill to me too.

I use a single hollow core door, well supported, and have never had a problem. You might need to put in a few shims to get it level initially, but as long as it's supported on both ends and the middle, it should be fine.
Dennis-
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 PM
rockom

Thanks for the reply. I read a bunch of posts on hollow cores warping over time. Thats why I was thinking of the above idea.

Thanks again,
-Rocko
Old 01-24-2004, 07:05 AM
CafeenMan

Nightz - That is a heavy behch you're designing, but I like heavy benches. In fact, the heavier the better (as long as it doesn't punch through the floor).

The problem I see is how are you going to laminate this stuff together so that it is flat? I would think you would need a hyrdraulic press or something to put some pressure on it and hold it flat while the glue dries.

You could just buy some armor plate from whoever makes the Abrahms tank and use it.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 AM
jpmcclary
My Feedback: (6)

The biggest solid core door you can find works great on a solid base. It will support 3 to 500lbs needed when you make GS wings and stabs. They will come out staight..
Old 01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
SDR-Hammer

Is the bench you are building going to be a permanent structure in your shop?

If so I suggest not using a hollow core door for a top. Instead go with a ¾†chipboard (used for counter tops) double layered. In my opinion will take more abuse than the MDF.

Hollow core doors are inherently stable if they are SEALED WELL ON ALL SIDES and not left lying flat, especially holding weight, for long periods of time. I’ve used a cheap Luan hollow core door slab as a building board for years. The door gets stored on end when not in use and it’s as straight as the day I bought it.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:45 PM
rockom

Today is my lucky day!!
I stopped out to the local Menards to see what they had for scratch and dent. I ended up getting a perfectly good mint condition steel door with steel ribs for $5. They wanted to get rid of it real bad. I guess it had been laying around for a long time. These things are ususally over $200.

-Rocko
Old 01-24-2004, 04:37 PM
spokman

Just to comment in case someone else is looking.. They make hollow core doors that have some kinda synthetic covering on them. Home depot has them and they are white. $18 a door. I use one for my table and it is working well so far. Covered it with sheet rock. I suspect the sythetic covering on the door will resist warping as moisture shouldn't effect it.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Balsa Master

my table is made of a 2X4 frame in steel 3 way angle brackets so it forms a rectangle wiht legs. very sturdy, ive had 3 ppl stand on it, combined wiethg of about 700 lbs and not even a bend, covered wiht 3/4 partical board, very flat and fairly cheap to. its about 15' long and 4' deep.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Jim Finn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a hollow core door on a table and shim it to be flat. I check it for flatness about once a year and it is still flat after 3 years. I have two benches like this. I got damaged doors at Home Depot for $10 for the two.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:04 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Of course, if you ever wanted to use it to work on a 350 Chevy, it would work.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Balsa Master

yea... or not. i wouldent put a greasy engine from my car weighing it at like 400 lbs on top of my table, when i said mine suported 700lbs, that was spread out over a larger surface area (feet) rather than the engine resting on maybe 6 SQ" .