Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Break in tailrotor motor on aerohawk?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Break in tailrotor motor on aerohawk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:30 PM
larsen2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in tailrotor motor on aerohawk?

Should the stock tailrotormotor on aerohawk be breaked in before use? (if yes, for how long?)
Old 01-25-2004, 04:16 PM
randii

Default RE: Break in tailrotor motor on aerohawk?

IMHO no. These little buggers have a *limited* lifetime in this application. My LHS reports that this seems to be the case across most of the mini-helis, perhaps more-so with the Aerohawk.

The break-in process, AFAIK, is intended to wear-in the mating surfaces to establish better contact, all at a low speed to minimize arcing. You DON'T want to wear the brass wipers in the Aerohawk tail motor... they are flimsy enough, as is.

I will probably be trying to swap a couple of small brushes into one of my burned-out tail motors, replacing the simple wiper setup that's in there now. I've never felt the motor can to be even warm to the touch on my tail motor... I wonder if that is the stock heat-sink doing its job, the airflow from the tail rotor helping, or perhaps the reality that there's not a lot of heat generated anywhere other than between the wipers and the shaft. On my last replacement motor, I drilled the can to allow me to use a needle oiler to lube the brushes before each flight, but that hasn't appreciably improved the lifespan (note that I've just burned out my second tail motor after less than 20 of the stock NiMH battery packs, so this really is a pretty limited sample to generalize from).

I'll patch this up short term, but I really think this motor is under-designed for the use it sees, especially in the high-speed spurts that my basic hovering requires of it... I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to a different tail motor or design.

Randii
Old 01-25-2004, 04:24 PM
larsen2000

I've burned out 3 tailmotors already.. The brushes seems to be very flimsy!
Any suggestions on other motors that don't need other replacements? (mixer etc.)
Old 01-25-2004, 04:51 PM
tomflier

I'm not sure which motor is used on the aerohawk but the GWS b2-C motor is great long lasting motor in my experiane for my hummingibird.
I belive it has carbon brushes that last longer........

tomflier
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 AM
randii

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

I bought a coupla Century replacement tailmotors today -- about 2.5 times the prices of the Aerohawk replacement motors I bought at Raidentech.com, but if they last longer, well worth it.

I was unable to verify the specs of either motor, but both work off the N20-size chassis. The 'Hawk *appears* to use a B2C motor and the 'Bird *appears* to use a B2C2 motor. I wish somebody from one of the manufacturers (GWS would be nice!) would verify either way, but from pulling the little buggers apart, I can verify that the 'Hawk uses a motor with simple brass wipers, and the Century 'Bird replacement motors use a brush with solid brushes (they don't look like carbon, but I am ecstatic to have something more than simple brass wipers!).

Since this motor has actual blocked brushes, I'll be breaking in at least one motor wet.

I'll report back on longevity when I have more data, but I gotta say, the dissection looks promising!

Randii
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi

I feel that all stock tail motor for Aerohawk, Dragonfly, Hummingbird and Thunderhawk are all very short lift span. I think it is due to the design of it. I think the engineers who design it wanted to have a very light motor (maybe 5gram) for tail. They end up by compromising it with low voltage motor.

With that, our stock motor easily die after a few hours of fun time.

The solution to it:
1 - Keep on replacing brush. This is not good also.
2 - Keep on replacing the stock motor. After a few replacement u might feel u are wasting money.
3 - Get a higher voltage motor or Direct Drive Motor like EDF50 or CN12-RLC or CN12-RLX. This may last u longer than stock but the draw back is Weight and higher current comsumption.

Super-Hornet