Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Pilots in New England?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Pilots in New England?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
valk70
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Pilots in New England?

Hi,

I have been flying RC for many years now. Finally, I am at a point that I am interested in getting into jets and am looking for anyone in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Maine who may be able to provide some guidance.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 AM
aparchment

Default RE: Jet Pilots in New England?

Hi Mike:

Try Ray Labonte at Ray & Robin's Hobby Center in Portland, Maine. 207-797-5196. Ray is a BVM dealer, a JetCat dealer and I believe an AMT dealer, but also sells most other decent kits and engines -- both turbine and ducted fan. Ray has been flying jets since the 80s, has built and flown almost all BVM models as well as some Yellow, Cook, CAI and Composite Arf planes. He is very knowledgeable and has been a great resource for me, in addiiton to the folks at BVM and the people in this forum.

Out on Cape Cod there is a guy by the name of Ray Davis. Ray has also been a jetaholic for many years, though he prefers scale subjects to sport. Ray is also a great person, very knowledgeable and would undoubtedly be willing to lend a hand.

A good opportunity to meet the New England crowd is the Maine Jet Rally which is held the weekend after Labor Day every year. There are some nice, genuine, down to earth people in the ME, NH, MA who are heavily into jets, so hopefully you will meet them before you meet some of the not so pleasant ones!

Antony
Old 01-27-2004, 09:30 AM
valk70

Hi Antony,

Thanks for the info. For some reason, my "state" field is showing up as MO not MA. I live up near the NH border so a trip up to Portland may be in my near future. We also have a house down on the Cape too... I did go to the Maine jet rally several years ago (maybe 7?) and also one in Vermont, there were a few turbines at each. Seeing them fly is what really got me hooked on having a turbine at some point. I plan on flying some EDF models this summer, I have several in the building que. I am looking towards flying turbines the following year. At this point I really am just wanting to do some "research" and get a chance to see what jet flying is really all about as far as equipment, engines, models, etc. I have been member of the Cape Ann RC Club for a long time, although inactive the last couple years due to school. The present Cape Ann club field is probably not suitable for turbines, although I don't know that for sure. Where do you fly? Are there any particular clubs/fields in the area that have jet fliers? So many questions?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Mike,

Seems that you are about 35 minutes from me. Unfortunately, unless you hook up with a turbine pilot when they are going out to fly the chances of seeing a turbine fly outside of events is rather slim. In the spring, I'll be flying the L39 and a King Cat out of our local field, and you are more than welcome to visit as a guest. My local field is most likely the closest to you as far as turbine operation (about an hours drive). I don't know of any other jet pilots flying closer.

I'm sure Ray L. and Ray D. would be more than willing to let you know when they are flying as well as their fields. Both of the fields Ray L (New Glouster) and Ray D (Falmouth) fly from are about 1:45 to 2 hours each from Boxford. They are both very approachable and good guys. But the best bet would be to attend one of the jet rallies this coming season (Biddeford, Vermont, Gardner), or some of the local scale events have a turbine demo flight. There will be a large number of varied turbines at the jet events, lots of flying, and plenty of people to talk to. You should get a good feel of this segment of the hobby after attending a couple events.

As an aside, I am doing a turbine presentation on March 3rd in Tewksbury, which is about 20-25 minutes drive for you. We'll also be running a Jetcat P-120 turbine to go over the basic operations if the weather permits. You are more than welcome to come along if you are interested. Let me know and I'll send you all the details.

And as you mentioned, a trip up to Portland to talk with Ray L. is in order. Might as well pick up my King Cat while you're there for me, it would save me a trip
Old 01-27-2004, 10:41 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Mike, The closest field for you to fly jets at is probably the Rte 107 RC Club field in Saugus, MA. It is off of Rte 107, between Revere and Lynn. I have flown my DF's there and plan on flying a turbine there this summer. As mentioned previously, Ray LaBonte has tons of experience with jets and is a pleasure to deal with. I purchased my turbine and Kangaroo from him. I plan on starting the Roo in within a few weeks (I am finishing up another DF project). If you want more info on the Rte 107 club, just let me know. Bob
Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 AM
valk70

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

sfaust: got your email, sent you one back.

balsabob: sure I would like more info on the rte. 107 site. I remember seeing people flying there years ago I think. Is that the area between the rotary and the transfer station?

Mike
Old 01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, Yes, that is it. If you want to, you can send me a private message with your address, and I can place an application in the mail to you. Also, our annual RC Auction takes place on Sunday, February 8th, in Saugus (near the Square One Mall). You can get more info there (and even join if you want to). Bob