Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Anyone own/fly both an LMH and a Hornet2?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Anyone own/fly both an LMH and a Hornet2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 12:21 PM
JasonRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own/fly both an LMH and a Hornet2?

I am trying to decide which one to get.. I want a STABLE heli, and honestly don'e care if it's CP or FP. I just want a heli that is stable outdoors to fly in the real world.

Does anyone own/fly both? If so, what recommendations do you have? I like the looks of the hornetII a little better, but the LMH is bigger, so I assume it is more stable?

Jason
Old 01-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Anyone own/fly both an LMH and a Hornet2?

I want a STABLE heli
That's going to pretty hard to get with the LMH or a micro heli, neither one is very stable. I have an LMH and a Hummingbird and they are nowhere near as stable as the bigger heli's (30, 50). You can learn to fly with them (people do it everyday), BUT, it will probably take you longer then it would with a 30 size heli. A lot of people get the wrong impression about micro heli's, they think because they are small they are easier to fly, that' a long way from the truth. Micro heli's are harder to fly then the bigger ones (30, 50). They are hard to learn how to fly for beginners because the are so unstable. In my opinion, micro heli's aren't made for someone trying to learn to fly heli's, they're made for people that already know how to fly heli's. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of getting a micro heli, I'm just letting you know what you are going to be up against. In my opinion, if you have the money, go with a 30 size heli. You will learn a lot faster and more then likely have more fun. Anyway!!!!!!!! I babbled long enough. Good Luck on what ever you get, your going to have a ball.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:17 PM
JasonRP

I hear what you are saying, but, I already have a hummingbird, and I am able to fly it decently.. I'm not ready to try to loop it yet (If it's even possible), but I can certainly hover it, and I can do FF with it and not crash (usually). So, between the HB, an XRB lama (can hover this one rock steady, nose in, fly circles, you name it), and much flight sim time, I've got a little bit of stick time. I'm certainly no expert by any means, but I think I've learned a good amount of the fundamentals.

I'm just wondering if 1)a LMH is more stable than the hummingbird, 2)how the Hornet II compares to a LMH stability wise, indoors and out..

I would guess that because the LMH is between a .30 size heli and a micro that it should be a LOT more stable, but I have never flown one. I am also curious about the Hornet II, since it appears incredibly stable indoors- maybe because it is CP and has a high rotor speed? Anyway, I certainly agree with what 100,000's of heli fliers all say, that the big nitro ones are the most stable. I just don't want a big nitro one for many reasons.

Jason
Old 01-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Charlie

I would guess that because the LMH is between a .30 size heli and a micro that it should be a LOT more stable
It's not! I find my Hummingbird is more stable then my LMH. I even put a piezo gyro on the LMH to try and make it more stable (it helped), but my Hummingbird is still more stable.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
ChopperMike

I have a CP Hornet and had a LMH Corona (just sold it). I can't say how the Hornet compares to the other micros since I haven't flown any others, but the Corona is MUCH more stable than the Hornet. No question about it! I could recommend (have recommeded, the guy I sold it to) the Corona to someone looking to get into helis with little or no help. I would never make that recommendation with a Hornet! It's been a very trying experience. I've been flying nitro 30 size for 15 years and it's been a real challange flying the Hornet.

The Corona will handle a fair amount of wind due to it's higher weight. But so will the Hornet, or so I've seen. I just started flying my Hornet a few months ago and haven't flown it outdoors much. I did see one fly at the IRCHA Jamboree this last August . The guy flying it (from the Czech Republic) did everything the big boys were doing.

One drawback to the Corona is battery life. It's very easy to get a 20 minute flight with a 3 cell 1200-1300 mAH LiPo. The only way to get a flight time like that with a larger electric like the Corona is with a $250 high capacity LiPo. And of course the Corona is FP where as the Hornet can be CP as the Hummingbird can.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 09:13 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

The corona is as almost as stable as my Hawk sport .30 nitro. I own both and the Corona is very stable. And you dont need lipos and brushless motors to get long flights. I have an Atomic force brushed motor and a saft 3200 nimh pack. I can get 13.5 mins hovering. That turns into almost 20 min of fwd flight. You can't get a cheaper heli either. I piled it into the ground going full tilt and it cost me $ 18 Canadian dollars to fix. This would be considered the worst of bad crashes. You can't beat a corona to learn on!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:57 PM
ChopperMike

Exactly! People may see the promotional video on the Corona and think it's not real but it is. At the National Model & Hobby Expo in Chicago I saw the Corona flown and intentionally crashed with no damage. You'd never do that with any other heli. It's one tough bird!

The Atomic Force must make all the difference. I hadn't replaced my motor yet before I sold it and I couldn't get anything like that with mine. Maybe 10 minutes max with my 3300 mAH NiMH.

BTW, I also fly a Hawk Sport/TT 36, a heli I highly recommend.

Regards,

Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 03:38 PM
joe1
My Feedback: (9)

I would like some information on a couple of Heli's I have a chance to trade for, The first one Is called a Heliboy and the other is called a LEGEND, can anyone tell me anything about these, can parts still be purchase for repair, I 'm wanting to get into flying Heli's and I'm looking for the cheapest way to do it , but I don't what a bunch of problem's either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks in advance for your input.
Joe
Old 02-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Charlie

You would never find parts for either one of those heli's.