Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to color CA

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to color CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Aja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to color CA

Does anyone know what I could color my CA with so I can see it better. Preferably, is there something around the house that I could use. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Galeczka
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: How to color CA

wouldnt food coloring work well?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:55 PM
iflynething

Not to bust anyone bubble, but there is another thread where someone added food coloring and the whole bottle hardened up......the coloring acts like an accelerator.......so food coloring WON'T work.you'll waste that bottle of CA
Old 01-28-2004, 04:17 PM
JimTrainor

CA, in the bottle, is a weak acid. That is what stabilizes the polymers floating around in there so that they don't bond with each other.
When the glue is in the precence of a weak base, the acid is neutralized and it sets. Water, for example is a weak base so moisture will cause the CA to set. That is the understanding I have developed simply by surfing the net looking for info.

I haven't tried it, but what I would do is to add the food coloring to some vinegar (a weak acid!) then add a bit of that to the CA. I wouldn't experiment on a whole bottle, however.

edit... well, pure water is neutral. I guess ordinary everyday moisture must be a base. To be honest, I'm not sure. This is what I've read.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:20 PM
CafeenMan

Satellite City used to make Blue Hot Stuff. I wonder how they did it?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:58 PM
SpeeDFX

Maybe you should try WATER COLOR paint, the dry hard kind. I dont know about the chemical breakdown of water color and CA glue but if moisture is the problem then you may try getting some cheap dry water colors. You could scrape the little chunk until you have a good amount of powder and mix it in with the CA.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Aja

yep.....it was me who added the food coloring to the CA
Old 01-28-2004, 06:36 PM
iflynething

Well there ya go........the CA reacts to the moisture in the air, and something like since it is a weak acid then it hardens when it "hit oxygen." Since moisture is pretty much water, then you would just be adding the needed moisture that the CA needs to harden........Hope you can find somethin.......if ya do come back n' tell!!