Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Alternate Way of Taking out CA Hinges other than debonder??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Alternate Way of Taking out CA Hinges other than debonder??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:28 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate Way of Taking out CA Hinges other than debonder??

I have another thread about my huge gaps that I have w/ my Somthin' Extra, which are almost 1/4 in.....I'm sure someone's seen it.....I have decided to just replace the CA hinges w/ other CA hinges that I have already bought...I have heard that you can use CA debonder to get the CA to come out, but you're at risk to debond the whole thing; other wood. So, I don't want to go this way. The other way was to just cut them out flush w/ everything and go on the top and bottom of the hinge very slowly and do it that way. But, I don't want to go that way either. One other way it to cut them flush w/ everything and cut new slots but since the CA has probably wicked through the surrounding wood, that probably won't work; the CA won't grip to other CA (even if it does, I don't wanna take the chance). Ya know of another alternate way to take them out w/o ruining the surrounding wood.......

I could always take those darned ol' CA hinges back and get the Robart 1/8 in. hinges that I had originally planned on using....(and then just drill holes right in the middle of the CA hinges.....Man....Thats pretty confusing, eh??!!?!?!)
Old 01-29-2004, 06:49 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Alternate Way of Taking out CA Hinges other than debonder??

use the debonder... or the Robart hinges.

If you managed to get the 1/4 inch hinge gap... you would manage to slice your hand open trying to use the alternate method to remove the CA hinges. (it isn't easy and requires patience and very fine knife control, under conditions where the knife can EASILLY slip.)
Old 01-29-2004, 08:01 PM
iflynething

So I should just take back he CA hinges and get the Robarts.....then drill the holes right where the CA hinges are......is that how I understand it??.....
Old 01-29-2004, 08:05 PM
pete913

I think it might be pretty hard to drill on center through the old CA hinges to install the Robarts. The drill will probably drift to one side or the other of the old hinge. Can you put the Robarts alongside the old hinge locations?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 PM
iflynething

I will do that........the epoxy would still be able to bond to the wood even though there is CA everywhere.......I could just put it to like the right side of all of the hinges on the right elevator, and all to the left of the hinges on the left side of the elevators.....Yeah....that would work.....I'll have to go back to the LHS and exchange the CAs for the Robarts......what dia. would ya suggest........????
Old 01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
pete913

I would think the 1/8" size would be fine. Good luck[8D]
Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

on a 40 size plane... 4 X 1/8 inch robart points per aileron (typical trainer strip ailerons) OR 6 of thier next smaller size.

Either works... just how many you need changes.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM
iflynething

Well, I just need to have the elevators taken out because of the gaps in the inner portion....But, since I have to take out the elevators, I also have to take out the rudder, because the elevators are unbetween the rudder and vertical stab.....Therefore, I'm just gonna replace the rudder hinges also.....

BTW, in the elevators, there's three on each half, and also three on the rudder......

Man.......can't wait to get this plane up........I"M SO IMPATIENT...Might get to go Sunday if my dad is off work and I can get the hinges Sat. or something......