Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What engines for a fast twin?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What engines for a fast twin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Silent J
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engines for a fast twin?

Okay, now I like to do a lot of my own designing. I may never get to build even 25% of what I design, but that's not going to stop me from planning! Mechanical engineering has some great applications to the model aviation hobby! So, my question is this: If I were going to design a twin, based on .61 two-stroke engines, what are some of your experiences that would let a sleek craft reach speeds in excess of 150mph? Could a ducted fan engine be used with a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop? I'd like to go fast eventually, but I'd like to know a fast engine to get me there! Thanks for any info.

Silent J
Old 03-15-2003, 12:37 AM
FHHuber
Banned

You can make a single engine aircraft powered by a Nelson .40 (they specialize in making racing engines) do 170 to 200 mph... In fact, the .40 powered pylon racers HAVE to be able to do an average 170 mph through thier 10 lap races to be competitive.

Scaling up from that to a twin with .61's... yes, you need DF engines or similar to get the needed RPM. The structural needs of the larger aircraft will be somewhat more difficult than for the .40 powered racers. The base design I'd start with would be the Grosvenor House racer (can't remember the aircraft's namd... a DeHaviland design if I remember correctly) or a modification on a ME 262. The F-82 (Twin Mustang) or the P-38 would also be good starting places... but the swept wing designs should have an advantage.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:06 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nelson does make an awsome engine. Dub Jett also makes very powerfull engines . He advertises in the AMA mag
and I'm sure has a web site. He is a Texas boy Hubber I'm supprised you didn't mention him.
later daveo
Old 03-24-2003, 07:17 PM
chik magnet

Twin TURBINES. That will get almost any airplane to do 250 or more .Thats way to fast and expensive for me!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]