Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Broken ball links! A fix to 'em all!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Broken ball links! A fix to 'em all!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:55 AM
flyingchaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken ball links! A fix to 'em all!

I finally broke these miniture ball link on my outer control plate on the mini Dragonfly. They are sure fragile! If anyone can give some light on a tool or method in getting the links off or on to the balls w/o damaging anything, please let everyone know.

CA will NOT hold these ball links, especially when fitting the link onto the ball.

I gotta hand it to myself[8D], its amazing what one can come up with when you're desperately waiting for the replacement parts to come from backorder!

Anyway, I used a .031" drill bit, and a .031" steel rod/piano wire(both available from hobby shops).
No glue was used at all! It was a press fit type of deal. Very clean, exept for the plastic shavings from the drilling process.

Make sure that the piano wire will fit flush with the ball and "the other side"(for lack of descriptive words).

Now I'd better not break this linkage ever again! Oh...my heli flew again if you're wondering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45706.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	95634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26683.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	95635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75104.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	95636  
Old 01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Super-Hornet

Default RE: Broken ball links! A fix to 'em all!

Hi dragon-dude

When I looked at your picture, an idea suddenly hits me!. If you ever seeing those stationary wall pins with plastic round head with color, do you think it is the same size as the ball? If so, maybe can use that stationary pin as the ball head. Just either superglued the pins onto the swash or hot melting onto the swash.

I don't have those stationary pins with me right now so i can't compare the size. If anyone of u do have, plz check out the size.

Super-Hornet
Old 03-15-2004, 02:57 PM
blueprints

Hey Hornet!!!

Uve been a great help! I've broke e ball link this evening n i treid to put it back together... unfortunately, i melted e ball when drilling... now i hv a prod with where to find a similar ball. ure idea is really. I'll look into it n keep u updated. THanx
Old 03-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Imho

Hey dragon-dude,

Thanks for the idea. I've been waiting on a replacement swashplate for my Eolo because I broke a ball off. I made one change to your method and used a threaded push-rod end instead of a press fit or glue. I'm not sure if this would be possible or necessary on a smaller heli.

I'm back in the air!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 PM
flyingchaos

Imho,

Good to hear!
Yeah I broke a ball link and was too impatient to wait for my part to ship in, so I had to come up with something :-)

Unfortuanatly for me, I cannot find CHEAP stainless 3mm steel balls with threaded rods anywhere... :-(
Else I'd start milling a swash plate.

-Dan