Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

rear diff lock/ 4 spider gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 03:48 PM
J-fet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear diff lock/ 4 spider gear

which is better for savage racing?
Old 02-01-2004, 04:13 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: rear diff lock/ 4 spider gear

For racing?? Dont even think about a diff lock. You need to be able to take tight turns, and you wont be doing that with a locked diff. I use the standard diff both front and rear for the track. Nothing special.

Matt
Old 02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
YanLST
Banned

Matt,
Do you think it would be hard for a begginer to instal a rear diff lock??? And do you think the added performance of the diff lock is worth it???? I mean, if I get a savage, I would wait to put it in untill I drove it a little, so I guess I've answered one of my questions, like if I like the performance I get I wouldn't!
But what do u think anyhow???
Thanx!
Yan
Old 02-01-2004, 07:08 PM
ThermalRD

No, i dont think the diff locks are worth it. I guess if you are ONLY bashing, and climbing HUGE hills, then you might want one. Any other time i would say just use diff grease from kyosho, or silicone diff fluid to tune the diffs. I like to run on a track, so i cant run with a locked diff. I need to make tight turns sometimes, and its really hard to maneuver with a locked diff. Its easy to install them though, i think anybody should be able to do it. However, i've been building my own RC cars since gradeschool.

Matt
Old 02-01-2004, 07:34 PM
YanLST
Banned

To Matt-
Well... The type of drving I'd be doing would be around the house, there arn't big hills, and I would make a strait for jumps, and then a circuit since there no trees, I would not be racing or doing REALLY tight turns, but just playing and jumping around, so what do u think, I would also be driving in snow...
Thanx!!
Yan
Old 02-01-2004, 10:24 PM
ThermalRD

I think you would be better with some grease, or silicone lube. The grease you can get at Tower, it comes in different weights, and so does the silicone diff fluid. The grease needs less maintenance, and doesnt dry up as fast. However its a little more expensive.

Matt
ORIGINAL: YB AirGround

To Matt-
Well... The type of drving I'd be doing would be around the house, there arn't big hills, and I would make a strait for jumps, and then a circuit since there no trees, I would not be racing or doing REALLY tight turns, but just playing and jumping around, so what do u think, I would also be driving in snow...
Thanx!!
Yan
Old 02-02-2004, 11:01 PM
DaSHiKi

is diff lock the same thing as posi traction?