Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Re-use parts from whisper

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Re-use parts from whisper

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:34 AM
raykad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-use parts from whisper

Years ago I bought a Kalt Whisper CP and crashed it. It has been sitting for several years. Now I want to start over and buy a new electric heli and try again. My question is: Does anyone know of an electric helicopter kit that I could use the whispers Gyro, Servos, Speed control, and RX? This would save a bundle of money. all of those parts are in good condition. By the way the radio gear is Futaba. Would the Corona 120 be an option? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:35 PM
flyingchaos

Default RE: Re-use parts from whisper

Hi Raykad,

I had a whisper a while back also....crashed and sold the parts for scrap!
Perhaps the best thing I did. sorry to say. being a true junkie, I kept the gyro and the speed control as well...

I just bought a gws dragonfly RTF this january. Best new years present i've ever bought myself :-).

These stock helis can only have a Max flying weight of 300g(very light!). some even lighter like 280g....

The kalt gyro is a true mechanical gyro, which would be too heavy and will consume ALOT of power from the micro heli's bec/battery pack. The speed control would work, but depending if you get the Hornet micro heli or the "others", you'd have to get another esc for the tail motor. oh,...the new esc reset's when the throttle stick is LOW. The whisper esc has a push button on the esc to reset(to put online).

BTW. the esc for micro helis use surface mount tech chips(SMT). Whereas the speed control that I had(futaba) on the whisper used full sized to-220 Mosfets. So size wise, the micro esc's are probably less than 1/2 the wieght of the whisper ESC.

The standard Rx's will be heavy, unless you had a micro Rx....

All-in-all, i think it's best just to get the micro electronics if you are going micro heli.

As for the Corona, all the electronics will work fine! I had the lmh100 (gas versionof the corona) It is big enough and strong enough to carry standard electornic equipment, except that you need mini servos instead...

Good luck!

-Dan
Old 02-03-2004, 01:42 PM
raykad

Thanks for responding Dan,
I like the Dragonfly and the Aerohawk. I will probably go with one of those micros. The Corona 120 is around $240.00 with the motor. I thought that at that price, if I could use my whisper servos, sc, and rx I would end up with a better Heli for the same amount of money as a Dragonfly ARF. The Micro helis sound really cool though. Are there any that come in a kit form? I would prefer building over an ARF.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 AM
flyingchaos

You know....I have not seen a micro heli in full kit form.

even when you buy the "kit" w/o electronics (exept main motor/tail motor) the heli is already built...

You've probably seen in the postings that the instructions that come with these planes s**k. The best page in the manual(if you get one anyway) is the blow-up diagram, which is pretty good. This is perhaps another reason why you do not see micros in full-kit form.
no step by step instructions for the parts.

I guess you'll have to get one, and disasseble it :-)

I did notice that these parts break easily if not handled with extreme care in assembling...such as poping the ball-links onto the balls.. But you can't blame, these are small parts.

-Dan
Old 02-04-2004, 03:07 PM
tahustvedt

There aren't really that many parts to take apart... or assemble for that matter if they were in kit form.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:38 PM
raykad

I checked my Whisper last night and it has four - Futaba S-133 servos and the speed controller is slightly smaller than the Futaba receiver. Dan is correct, the gyro is a Kalt true mechanical gyro. Are the S-133 servos a direct fit on the Corona?

Thanks,

Raykad
Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
flyingchaos

raykad,

the specs on the s133 servos look like they will fit.

If the frame construction on the corona is like the lmh's(which i believe it is), you'll have to make mount adjustments for the servos anyway during construction. I had both Mini and micro servos work with the lmh100 with some work to get the micros to mount.

You may have to skip the gyro :-), they are not worth thier weight in gold, not to mention power hungry. I have one with me too...figuring out what to do with it...
Perhaps use it on my RC gas truck he he he.

-Dan