Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flames!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 10:52 PM
drbutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames!

Just another flame motif...This is an old Eaglet 50 which has been thoroughly beat to hell, but I thought the overlaps worked out pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88027.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	100314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72468.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	100315  
Old 02-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Kenny R

Default RE: Flames!

Nice job!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:37 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

My dad always told me you leave your wing on the stove to long and that stuff is bound to happen

LOL
Old 02-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

How did you make the flames?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:24 PM
drbutton

I free-handed the flame design onto regular typing paper and cut out the designs, then tracing that onto monokote (yellow) and superkote (orange) with non permanent pen- it's just what I had lying around. I then ironed on the flames to the wing, starting with yellow, then overlapping with the orange, and then with yellow again...and so on. I did this one rainy Saturday afternoon just to give me something to do and really didn't try to get too technical in terms of the application (as I'm sure you can tell...hehe). If I were to do it again, I would use only monokote and apply it with windex (see Termagator's excellent tips on how to do this- the American flag design post of his), maybe ironing the edges for security. Also, at the time, I didn't pay attention to temp settings on my iron. This is KEY! I now have the 21st Century Iron by Coverite, which provides the following info:

Recommended Iron Temperatures (monokote)

Attaching to foam: don't
Attaching to Wood: 215-240F
Partial shrink: 230-270F
Max shrink: 270-350F

When sealing those edges, I would start at about 210F and up the temp until the monokote adhered. Good luck!