Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

NOS OS 1.20 curiosity...dirty engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

NOS OS 1.20 curiosity...dirty engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:30 PM
ethrjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS OS 1.20 curiosity...dirty engine

I am one of the many out there that have never owned a 4 stroker. I bought a 1.20 O.S. from a guy on ebay. I received the engine today and it has not been run but it relly looks like it has been sitting in a dirty environment for a while.

My question is should I be concerned about foreign matter in the engine? Should I try to dismantle a new engine to clean it or just squirt some fuel in the engine and let her rip? If I do dismantle it will i need new gaskets?

Thanks for any help.

PS. This engine is going on a easy sport .60. Should be a real screamer...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:23 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: NOS OS 1.20 curiosity...dirty engine

Plug any openings and clean the outside of it with some fuel or alcohol.

Then if you are compelled to look inside, you will need to remove the carb and then the back plate and look in there carefully with a flash light and maybe wipe around in there with a clean white rag and see what you get? Most of them didn't have a gasket on the back plate but there is a Oring around the carb outlet that is generally reusable. Generally you don't take them apart anymore than this or you cause more harm than good.

The guy that sold it to you may not be the one that let it get dirty? But he didn't clean it either?

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 AM
ethrjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will do what you suggest. This was one of those deals where the guy bought the engine for a plane that he never built.

Any good links on breaking her in?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:22 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
It's a ringed engine...which means you have to run it slobbering rich (adjusting rpm with the high speed needle not the throttle-drum) the first 3-4 tanks then gradually increase rpm as you go...after 6-10 tanks you could consider it being run in...yes ! That is all it takes!!! Be certain that you run the engine on the rich side and never lean.
Use a 16x6 prop, 5-10%nitro and an OS F glowplug ....and it will run forever.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
30 years in this wonderful hobby!