Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models P40

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models P40

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Woody 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models P40

Would like to read feedback from anyone who has built and flown a World Models P40?[8D]
Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: World Models P40

Dear Woody;

The W.M. P-40 is a way stand off scale model. The retract system is not very good, and I never liked the system they use. On the other side of the coin, the model flyies very well and suprisingly fast with a hot .46. It is larger then the W.M. P-51, but flies better too. The company sprayed paint over a shrink covering to get the camo paint job...and it is durable. My only falt is the landing gear...it is weak, and toss out the tires and get some good Du-Bro units in placed.
Have fun...

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 02-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The WM P-40 is not very scale looking:

I agree with Bob about the landing gear. The plastic mechanisms are weak. The plane comes with tiny main wheels. If you don't grease your landing on a grass runway, you will snap both of the retract mechanisms. I flew the plane once, and it didn't have a nice stick feel to it.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Woody 51

Thanks guys,

Mine is yet to be assembled. I don't like the retracts that are in it anyway and besides, the wheels as installed on the model are facing the wrong way for a P40 (They face in rather than out as on the real thing.)

And yes, the ones in the kit are far too small for grass. The wheel wells look as if they can accept bigger units anyway.

I fly off rough grass, nothing as good as your photo's Richard, (my club shares the field with farm stock) so maybe some epoxy modifications, to make the gear permanently "down", might be the answer for me. Failing that , some decent Robarts or Du-Bro units as you suggest Bob.

Did either of you have to add any weight to the front or back to get the correct C of G?
I have a Saito .65 4 stroke reserved for mine and your info will assist me when the building process finally starts.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:00 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one. One of the servos failed after a couple of years and took the plane with it. It took a ST 75 to pull it around at the altitude here (3500'). It actually landed fairly easily. I have the same comments about the gear. I broke three or four right retract cases. Then had to buy a pair to get a replacement. I had problems with the wire from the bellcrank to the gear. The wire is weak and at an angle to the retract. (Unless their design has changed). I had a continual patch on the top of each wing where I had to go in and fix the wire.

I thought the plane itself was pretty stout. I had to add a few ounces of weight in the tail with the ST 75 in the nose.

Brian
Old 02-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Woody 51

Another point for the argument for converting my model to fixed gear!

Many thanks