Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

sealing hinge gaps

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

sealing hinge gaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:56 PM
flyer7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sealing hinge gaps

I seen suggestions on the board about sealing the hinge gaps, especially for the elevator. What is the best way to do that? I was thinking of using a strip of packing tape along the hinge gap. I assume you would deflect the control surface (the elevator in this case), and apply the tape. Should I do the top or bottom or both?
Old 04-02-2003, 05:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just move the surface to the maximum deflection and apply the tape to the under side only. I also the the alirons. No reason to do both sides when one will do.

Dru.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:32 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basicly elaborating on the previous response...

Clear packing tape or a 1.5 to 2 inch wide strip of iron-on covering. Deflect the surface upward, and apply to the lower surface being careful to tuck the sealing material into the hinge line. (adhere to the fixed surface, press into the hinge line then adhere to the moving surface)