Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Top Flight Smart Cut

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Top Flight Smart Cut

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight Smart Cut

This came up in another thread and I was requested to explain how I use it. Since a picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words here's a little over four thousand worth....

I typically use the Smart Cut for two types of cut's either inside corner flush or inside corner with small overlap. Remove the extra cover piece for these cuts.

The first pick shows holding the tool flat to the work piece for a 3/16 overlap. I draw the tool toward myself keeping tension on the covering. The secon pick shows the resulting cut.

The second set of pics show a flush cut where you hold the tool at an angle that allows the beveled edge to rest flat against the work piece. The last pic shows the resulting cut which is about 1/32 over the edge.

Always start with a fresh blade, #11 are a bit too small but I found some Stanley blades at Home Depot which are slightly bigger. Turn the tool around in your hand to cut away from yourself.

I found that with a little practice it works for me, anyone else with tips on this tool feel free to jump in here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45891.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	107332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23074.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	107333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29386.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	107334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31834.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	107335  
Old 03-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Blackie

Default RE: Top Flight Smart Cut

BB, any knowlage on the Top Flite SmartStripe Cutting Tool ? this is the one that I own, did not know there were twodifferent kinds.

Just acquired it at a swap meet.

Thanks
Blackie
Old 03-03-2004, 02:15 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Blackie,
I have the directions for everthing but the smartstripe! I'll try to explain the basics.
Roll the Mono onto the wood roller with about a 1/8 offset as you roll it on, then you put a peice of scotch tape over the ends (sides really) to hold it in place. Set the blade by turning the black knob on the threaded piece to place the blade onto the monocote. Press the blade down and turn the wood roller to cut the Monocote. Once you have a clean edge turn the blade adjusting knob to set the width of the strip you want to cut and repeat the cutting process, remember how many turns you make so you can repeat the width for additional pieces. I use the stripe cutter a lot also, when you figure it out I'll tell you the best way to iron it down.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi basinbum, I have the same TF tool but for the type of work you described, I prefer to use the Higley trimmer. Much easier and consistent, plus the razor blade lasts longer by using diff slots in the trimmer, and after that the same blade can be turned over. Ingenious design.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: rajul

Hi basinbum, I have the same TF tool but for the type of work you described, I prefer to use the Higley trimmer. Much easier and consistent, plus the razor blade lasts longer by using diff slots in the trimmer, and after that the same blade can be turned over. Ingenious design.

Rajul - Do you like the Higley tool enough to recommend it? I've thought about buying it several times and wasn't sure if it's worth the $15.00. I even tried to make one out of wood. That was a total waste of time.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:01 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

ORIGINAL: ED STEFAN

Rajul - Do you like the Higley tool enough to recommend it? I've thought about buying it several times and wasn't sure if it's worth the $15.00. I even tried to make one out of wood. That was a total waste of time.
I recommend the Higley over the Top Flite tool. Results are more consistent and there is less likelyhood of cutting yourself with the Higley tool than the TF too. Best bet would be to borrow both, and see which one you are more comfortable with.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: stuk_at_work

ORIGINAL: ED STEFAN

I recommend the Higley over the Top Flite tool. Results are more consistent and there is less likelyhood of cutting yourself with the Higley tool than the TF too. Best bet would be to borrow both, and see which one you are more comfortable with.
I appreciate the idea, but I would prefere a hatchet over the Top Flite tool. I have two (TFF)sitting in a drawer. (one I bought and one that was given to me)
I'm in a bit of a dilema--I hate to borrow and I'm cheap. Guess I'll go buy one and check it out. Thanks for the advise. [8D]
Old 03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed, I have tried both of them and personally, I get better results with the Higley tool.