Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

TURBOFAN ON-ROAD CAR

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 02:27 PM
dgmorr29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBOFAN ON-ROAD CAR

How good are those RC Airplane turbo fan engines, and how do you get one started?
Do you think it would be hard to control a car with a turbofan engine? How much would would they use?
I would like to experiment by putting a turbine on an on-road car. Any one with an unused TurboFan engine not being used?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: TURBOFAN ON-ROAD CAR

Turbines used in RC Jets cost between 4000 - 10,000 dollars for the engine and support equipment. That would be a bit pricey for an RC car. Plus, there is so much entailed with operating one, that the AMA actually requires a special license to even operate one at a fly field. They are started with an exterior computer control module as well as forced air induction. They are very large and heavy, and about the only car you could fit one on would be a 1/5 scale. Along with that, temps of over 1000F are not uncommon, and this would just melt away anything even close including the tires.

I suppose with enough money, it could be done, not as a bolt on, but as a purpose built drag racer.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:25 PM
speeddemon32

i second that one Nitroaddict.... anything is passable with enough money. but its just not reasonable... not to mention it would only make a good drag car.

one other thing: i used to drag race R/C cars a while back. (with actual R/C drag cars) there was a special exhibition class for rocket cars. they basically had a model rocket engine. they were really fast, but keep in mind there is no way to shut the engine down once it was ignited, and the burn is only for a few seconds. (which was fine for drag racing.

any ways, just wanted to include my 2 cents.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:57 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Nice!!!

I'd say this is sorta like suicide. Turbofans shouldnt be so close to the ground!

BUT..Somthing like this might be interesting to look at

Another TURBO PROP WITH 40lb Static thrust!!!

Ram
Old 03-04-2004, 05:11 PM
IhrtTamiya

you could build your own engine. they do have jet bikes that dont top out until the bike falls apart. if you did build your own engine you could use regular parts and just scale everything down. they built jet engines on junkyard wars and they worked fine. i bet it can be done with 100$
Old 03-04-2004, 05:26 PM
ericheller

ORIGINAL: IhrtTamiya

i bet it can be done with 100$
not to mention the thousands of $'s it would cost for cnc mills, lathes, and whatever else.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:50 PM
IhrtTamiya

you dont need a cnc machine, lathe, or "wutever else" if you can build one from junk then you can do it for 100-200$
Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 PM
popuptoaster

how about using a rubber skirt round the bottom of your car, and using a propeler to suck the air out (hover craft in reverse) wouldnt go faster but it would sure corner well!