Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

workshop eqiupment

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

workshop eqiupment

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 08:45 AM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default workshop eqiupment

I need everyones opinion here, which should I get, a table top band saw or a 16" Scroll saw, which one should I get first ( because I know Ill end up with both eventualy) Just wondering which would be better for general kit building.

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: workshop eqiupment

A 16" miter saw! you mean a power saw! WOW! you can build a Church with one of those! I have a 17 inch scroll saw and a 9 inch band saw but the tool I use most is a Dremmel type tool from Black and Decker $28
Old 03-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Blade47

Hi there !!

Here is a picture of the equipment I used on my project this winter. Do a search for super strikemaster to see what I made with them. Total cost 243.00 Canadian for the hardware.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33507.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	108346  
Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

If you want to do any scratch building look hard at a band saw. You can pick up a decent quality table top one for about $100. I'll bet mine has 100,000 miles on it. You will get a lot of debate here about the band saw vs. scroll saw issue. I have both and I use the band saw for 90% of my cuts.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:21 PM
CafeenMan

What the heck would you use a miter saw on? For models, a disk sander will take care of any miters. I would get a scroll saw before a band saw. I've used band saws and think a scroll saw is a lot more useful.

However, a band saw has a lot more power if you need to cut thicker stock.

Model-Building Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 05:57 PM
mikenlapaz

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blade47
I like your selection. Using a friend's scroll saw and shopping for combo sander. Does your scoll saw blade mount at 90 degrees in addition to aligning with arm? If so what make and model? $

Length of arm on scroll saw is not terribly important if you can rotate the blade. Give you the benefit of cutting long material like on a band saw.

I would add a Dremel Moto Tool with flex shaft to the items Blade has pictured.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:01 PM
CafeenMan

The only thing about scroll saw arm length is that longer arms vibrate more. I have a Craftsman 20" scroll saw that came with all the bells and whistles. I never use it because it rips out the back of wood no matter what blade I use.

I also have a 15" delta knock-off that I paid $99 for about 20 years ago. Using the same blades it gives great cuts so that's the saw I use. My Craftsman saw sits in a corner with a drop cloth over it.

A 14" to 16" model will do 99.9% of everything you need it to.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Blade47

Hi there Mikenlapaz!!

It is made by King Canada and is model: KC-161SSC and the price I think was ( as it was a gift) 79.00Can The main blade does NOT pivot as it is fixed as show-in the Table top will offset to 45dg. I found it to be Awe some to work with.

I do like the round saw blades that you can get for it (teeth are all around the blade 360dg so you can make your cut going one way then and with out stopping change to what ever dg that you want and keep going) .

The arm is 16" >>>The Drill is Model KC-108C 8" press and the Belt/sander combo is Model KC-702C.

Don Hattend and I have a thread called Super Strikemaster >>>Do a search for it, all work that you see on my Proto #2 was done with the above tools.

ORIGINAL: mikenlapaz

Blade47
I like your selection. Using a friend's scroll saw and shopping for combo sander. Does your scoll saw blade mount at 90 degrees in addition to aligning with arm? If so what make and model? $

Length of arm on scroll saw is not terribly important if you can rotate the blade. Give you the benefit of cutting long material like on a band saw.

I would add a Dremel Moto Tool with flex shaft to the items Blade has pictured.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:16 AM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

sorry everyone when I said Miter I ment Scroll, Scroll saw or band saw that is the question at hand.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:17 PM
hovercrafter

I use a delta scroll saw that costs $99.00 at Lowes. I got it cheaper, considering I work for Lowe's, but would of gladly paid $99 or even $129 for it. I love it and use it everytime I am building. The nice thing about a scroll saw is the paterns you can cut. If you have to do staright cuts, then the trick is to use a stright edge clamped to the work surface. If you buy one, definetley get one that has a blower on it and is variable speed. Single speed saws can be too rough on balsa, and the blower makes it nice to see your lines at all times .

First flight of the season should be this week YAY

Later
Jamie
Old 03-07-2004, 01:26 PM
hovercrafter

OOPS POSTED TOO FAST
Don't forget the dremel tool. With a cut off wheel, these are great for cutting metal parts, and the sanding discs and wheels can be a good asset too.
Also a Great Planes hinge slotter, but get the corded model, not the cordless. I got the cordless one first, and could only do 3 cuts before it needed recharged. The corder model works great and makes the tedious job of hinge slot cutting, a simple enjoyable task.
Another great tool is a 5 gallon compressed air tank. I build in the house, and do not have a compressor inside, so I got the airtank with a air gun tool. This works great for dusting off bench, and the model before building. Just dont shoot it full blast into the balsa (oops ). I can keep my tank going for quite a few projects, and when it needs filled just use the compressor I have for car tires, or if I don't want to mess with that, run down to the gas station.
One thing I don't see talked about much is lighting. Good lighting is a must. Get some good overhead flourescent lights for your general lighting, but when it comes to detail, I got a incadescent light with the magnifying glass in it. I paid like $20.00 at hoddy lobby for it, and use it all the time. Its great for getting the detail done.
My next purchase is a drill press. I have gone too long without one, and its driving me crazy. I might get one this week.
OH yeah, and if room is a concern for you, like it is me, Sears sells a 2 gallon shop vac that works great. It is also small enough not to get in the way.

Hope this helps
Jamie