Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

20 size J-3 wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

20 size J-3 wing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:26 PM
avistar181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 size J-3 wing

Ok......first kit, a little intimidating looking at all those long skinny peices of balsa that should come out looking like and airplane, but after reading the manuel, it doesnt seem the impossible task I thought laid ahead. So anyway, with amazing success, I built up my rudder, fin, elevaterS and horiz. stab. Right Wing panel..no problem!! Now for the left, I started exactly like my right wing, however the pre-cut notches on the leading and trailing edges did not math those on the rolled set of plans that came with the kit. Now I dont know exactly how the leading and trailing edges were cut but is it possible for them to be cut wrong at the factory??. I called the company and they willingly are sending me a new set of LE and TE.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:34 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 20 size J-3 wing

I would think that they do not cut a left and right leading\trailing edges, so do the two match each other??

If so did you position it so that the tip end is at the center section?

How far off were the notches from the plan?

If they were off by just a little I would go ahead and follow the wood pieces, becasue the paper can srtech and shrink from humidity changes more then the wood does.

Dru.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:10 PM
avistar181

Default 20 size J-3 wing

If i were to line up the two notches at the far left, the far right ones would be off by about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch, which ended up to be pretty significant because the ribs were bending quite abit. more so than ever should. I definatly would doubt that the paper shrunk or expanded. I only had the kit open for about 1 months and a half and the humidity level has been fairly steady.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:06 AM
blvdbuzzard

Default 20 size J-3 wing

Could it be that you have it flip tip at the root or the root at the tip? Did you see if they would line up with the other one that is built? Are you suppose to trim them to lenght so there is a little bit over the line on each end??

Dru.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:49 PM
avistar181

Default 20 size J-3 wing

i lined the edge up with the first notch both on the paper and on the edge. They still were mismatched. I'l just wait unitl the company asends me a new one and see if that fits.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:45 PM
blvdbuzzard

Default 20 size J-3 wing

On the kits I have built the ends of the leading, trailing edges needed to be trimmed after they were put togather. So the notches do not line up with the plans or the balsa piecesdo not line at with the plans. Just trying to see what you are saying. If they are sending you new pieces you should be in good shape.

Dru.