Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 50 Prop install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 07:58 PM
hawkrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 50 Prop install?

Center prop shaft? How tight should it be? Pretty snug? Warranty for bolts breaking in the hub? How do you know if the bolts are too long or too short? And last but not least the center prop shaft ID threads... is there supposed to be a bolt/washer that will tighten down on the spacer? Mine sticks past the spacer about a 1/4" or so...

Thanks for any info you can pass on... just about done with my Superkraft Laser 2000...
Old 03-15-2004, 12:24 AM
papadale
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: ZDZ 50 Prop install?

The center shaft needs to be tight. The best way I know to set it is to double nut the shaft, put a little silicone on the shaft, and screw it in. Then put a wrench on the outside nut and tap the wrench handle firmly with a hammer. This will snug the center shaft and hold it until the silicone sets.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the rest.

Hope this helps some.

Good luck
Dale
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 AM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shall never ever tighten a bolt more that the recommended torque that it's label with.

All depends on how much torque you shall use, do a search on the Internet and you will find the momentum of every bolt. On how long the bolt shall extend into the hub is like we use when we design a new construction, if it's steel 1.5 times the bolt diameter but if it's aluminum 3 times the bolt diameter.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
hawkrider

Thanks for the input. On the ZDZ the center shaft has OD threads that thread into the hub that is ID threads... so I can't really put a double nut on it. As far as the recommended torque.. I haven't found what the may be... General torque based on 1.5 for steel and 3 for aluminum is a good starting point... I was hoping someone found the torque from ZDZ directly... More than likely I'll just end up snugging it up nice and tight and go from there... just check it from time to time to make sure it's not getting loose... My other concern is the smaller bolts and the warranty issue...

Thanks again for your input...

Have a good one...
Old 03-16-2004, 02:05 AM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.5 and 3 times the diameter of the bolt is how long the bolt should be.