Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

I want to know any and all flaws in a stock savage 25!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I want to know any and all flaws in a stock savage 25!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:54 PM
PbXAssassiNX1524

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to know any and all flaws in a stock savage 25!

hello all, I'm looking into buying an RC car after my dad got his T-Maxx and I drover it, I'm hooked. But I want to know of ANY flaw (can be the most minor BS ***** you can dream up, I want to hear it) in the stock RTR savage 25 kit.

Also how do you bias people think it fairs... stock vs stock, I've heard that the savage has less speed, but how much torque are you guys getting comparitively to a T-Maxx with such a huge engine.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
vizaracer

Default RE: I want to know any and all flaws in a stock savage 25!

i know the savage it heavier than the t-maxx. the savage is bigger than the t-maxx. i know that for sure. i set my savage with my new tires next to a t-maxx at the track and it was a pretty big difference. i would say to get the syder gear upgrade. after like a few gallons you will have your spyder gears messed up without it. it doesnt make them impossible to break but it makes them last alot longer and will improve performance. a t-maxx could beat a savage in accel maybe but ive never gone stock and stock against a t-maxx. i think the savage is a great truck. at my track, i was the only savage last sunday. the savage is like 3 or 4 mph slower. i like my savage alot and i have put alot of hop-up parts in it. if you want your savage faster than your dads truck all you can do is put a couple of parts in your truck to be faster.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:53 PM
wakbrdr

the only thing I have noticed is the drive train. My friend put a straight shaft in his shortly after he bought it because it tore up the bevel gears. Since then he has broken 3 shafts, the diff cup is almost worn out, and some bearing have blown out. The engine has tons of power, maybe even more than the truck can handle
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Bobby26

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two savage 25 rtr. One has gpm shock towers front and back. gpm a-arms and aftermarket universals and gpm gas tank protector. I wish i would have gotten a metal disc brake for it. But it is a durable truck i haven't had really any problems with them so far...... After every hard run i've put on them i take them apart and check everything over. The only thing i really notice is the stock brake that comes with it. My second is basically stock just aftermarket aluminum shocks... i went to the local hobby shop when i was back home and compared the t-maxx to the savage and it only took me seconds to make my decision.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM
burnt3d
My Feedback: (1)

the only thing ive noticed is the stock linkage set-up for the throttle/brake. i went with the solid set-up and like it much better.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 PM
rdmonster

I have a tmaxx and my best friend has a savage.My truck is definetly faster but his is way tuffer. He hit dead on into a tree just as it was getting ready to shift.He busted a spur gear. Thats it. He was done running till he got a new spur gear but honestly before I bulletproofed my maxx that shot would have devastated it. Im not sure if it would take it even now.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Toycar

tires not fully glued to wheels, tire foam inserts too soft, upper suspension arms not adjustable for camber, no reverse, diff need 4 spider gear instead of 2, the self-tapping screws that hold the diff together backs out causing the two gears to wear out fast, tie rod ends wear fast, brakes aren't adequate and its servo is weak, steering servo needs metal gears instead of plastic, steering servo saver needs upgrading to MP unit for precise control, hard to work on everything's packed in there, throttle linkage needs upgrading, HPI doesn't locktite metal to metal screws, radio cover hard to re/re, radio box very tight and packed with battery and electronics, etc. This is nit picking but the savage is awesome. I have an Associated MGT and I like it too but it doesn't compare to the savage. The savage rocks all the other stuff is all minor.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Maxx-Crusher

Basically the savage 25 is a solid MT. I am, however, totally puzzled on the areas HPI decided to save a few pennies.

1. 2 spider gears when the diff was designed to accept 4. With the weight and the power the 25 has what kind of drugs were they using?

2. The throttle brake linkage had a lot of binding.

3. Combination steering servo and servo saver might just be the worst thing about the savage.

4. The cheapest radio I have had included with any of my rtr's. On a side note it would sure be nice to have radios as an option on all RTR's. Once you perform your first radio upgrade all of the rtr radio's become paperweights.

Maxx-Crusher
Old 03-27-2004, 08:06 AM
tegwin

The self leaning isue in the fuel system could also be noted!!!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:16 AM
cabbageSS

the SS is my first monster truck. in fact it's my first nitro car. building it gives me a sense of security as it allows me to impose my own QC standards.
having built the truck and jumped it, bashed it, cartwheeled it, i must say HPI deserves a round of applause. nothing has come loose, broken off or ended up in the junkyard (besides the stripped gears which was a my fault). basically everything holds together very well.

my grouses are the same as maxx's. there's just too much bind in the throttle/brake servo link. i had to loosen the screw a little so that the spring could do its job.

and another thing. the adjustable plastic throttle link (where it clips onto the slide carburettor ball) has limitations.
i realised that when i change the spur and clutch bell to a different combi, i have to re-adjust the length of this particular link because the engine's shifted.
and i just couldn't get it short enough when i'm using a the 52t spur gear.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Wizz Kid

savage .25 is tougher than t-maxx
Old 03-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Toycar

I'll tell you what's good about the savage it's the most unbreakable MT going.

Big wheel bearings same O.D. as RPM upgrades (MGT and T-maxx have the same size easily clogged/seized bearigs)
strong steering blocks (MGT and T-Maxx same small easily broken pivot balls, I broke 2)
strong shock towers (MGT breaks like that, I broke 1)
strong suspension arms (MGT breaks like that, I went through 8)
stong bumpers (MGT broke 3, brittke plastic)
drive gear metal in transmission 19/23 (MGT plastic)
good roll bar (body posts break eaasy on the MGT, I broke3 and bent 1 Al one)
good skid plates (MGT al plates ae getting chewed up)
long travel shocks (MGT and T-MAxx are the same size)
25 engine (MGT .21 it's good though)
rotostart (convenient and works)
3 shoe clutch
15T and 18T clutch bell
weighs about the same as the MGT