Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Battery and Inverter?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Battery and Inverter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Lilysdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery and Inverter?

Have a 10x6x6 trailer. I want to buy a battery and inverter so that I can charge/trickle while going down the road. Anyone have any info on what is available and where to get it?

Thanks in advance, Bill
Old 06-18-2002, 12:48 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can wire into harness of the towing vehicle (best I remember its the BLUE WIRE) to the harness of trailer to pickup 12 volts deciated for items like that. If you want a battery on the trailer you need to wire in an isolater so the battery in trailer will charge even if the tow vehicle batter has stopped charging. The inverter can be picked up from almost any automotive store or even a truck stop. Think the average price for a 300 watt inverter is around $39.00 or so. If you have a R/V repair shop close ask there for help.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:59 AM
Jazzy

K-Mart, Wal Mart, Harbor Freight, etc., etc.
Sometimes I use one in the back of my truck when I leave the planes in it overnight. (You should only need a 150W continuous inverter for a handfull of wall warts.) Check the power consumption of what you intend to use before buying an inverter.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
John M. Bigelow

I think a inverter is a big loss look at radio shack or anyones
LM317 or LM2904 voltage regulators witch are adjustable
I run 2 batterys for 24 volt sys and charge batterys in parallel
at 12 volts then switch to 24 volts for trickle for others It's
not that involed C radio shack. CU
Old 04-15-2003, 12:11 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not simply obtain a 12V charger for your equipment.

Most of the currently available line voltage charging units actually run on and charge with DC voltage. This means that they have some type of inverter onboard. If your hand you could probably open one up and have it.

I use a Sirrius Pro and Limited Edition charger for NiCd's and NiMH and other dedicated 12V chargers for Lithium Ion an such.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:03 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with mglavin. Go with the 12v field type chargers when on the road. If you want to charge with 110vac chargers, set up a retractable extension cord in the trailer wired to a couple outlets. When at home just pull the cord out and plug into an outlet. If you're pulling from the vehicle to charge your 12v trailer battery, install a fuse that is sized for the wire used. Todays alternators will put out atleast 100 amps that will fry a small gauge wire if the battery is way down. Yes I installed a 130amp alternator where a 70amp was. Cooked the charging circut in the truck after leaving the lights on too long with engine off!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:02 AM
smokingcrater

With an inverter running off the trailer wiring, be careful about the size, don't go above a 150 watt as suggested. 300 watt inverters can draw 10-20 amps, probably quite a bit more than what the trailer wiring is rated for.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:03 PM
mulligan

I met a guy at Deland who was kind enough to let me borrow his battery/inverter pack for some field repairs (using an AC Dremel). He said he got it at Sam's for about $70. This device was very slick- had a bunch of features, outlets, and connectors. Most of all, it had great power and endurance.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name, but if you look in Sam's club or a larger Walmart, you might find something like this that'll fit your needs.

- George
Old 04-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Maiden Voyage

Mr. Bigelow is correct. If all you want to do is charge your stuff up while going down the road then there is no sense using an invertor to go from 12VDC to 110VAC then plug in your charging packs so they can convert 110VAC to whatever (4, 6, 8, 12) VDC.

Just use a regulator set for whatever voltage you require or get a couple of them set for different voltages and you can charge everything at once.