Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

sig something extra cg

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

sig something extra cg

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 03:58 AM
chevy13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig something extra cg

What is the factory recommended cg for the something extra and then where are most people actually putting it?
Old 06-19-2002, 02:37 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

I am running at 4" back from the leading edge and still have a good handling plane with a Saito .72. While you're at it consider building a larger rudder (150%-200%) for good knife edge and hover control. They look good and fly well don't they?

quint
Old 06-19-2002, 02:47 PM
roadhor
My Feedback: (21)

Chevy 13 ; If you'll get rid of that brick you call an engine ( OS70 ) & get a real motor ( Saito 72 ) then you could move your CG back without adding weight.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:39 PM
SearchMan

Default Somethin' Extra/Saito 72

I agree with Quint, I have the same setup he has - Saito 72 with CG at 4" (I think I could go back anouther qtr inch to half an inch). My SE has no added weight and does the unlimited vertical thing when asked. I am turning a shaved off, re-balanced 14 x 5 Zinger prop and I have to stick my landings 'cause I have about 3/4 of an inch ground clearance! I have seen other SE with about an inch added on the rudder - I haven't done this yet and mine still can do a pretty respectable knife edge. I'm sure it would help with the hover control. I have three 1/4 scale planes and keep coming back to the SE - I love this plane!
Old 06-19-2002, 04:43 PM
stevta
My Feedback: (1)

Default Greased landings

Moose carbon fiber has landing gear that works well on the SE.
I used the GP extra gear. Its more flexible then the aluminum gear and retains its original shape.
Steve
Old 06-19-2002, 06:28 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

SearchMan, I replaced the tiny stock gear with a fiberglass one from the local hobby shop, opted for slightly larger litefoam wheels and kept the stock wheelpants. The .72 swings a 13 x 6 with good clearance and looks even better on the new SE gear legs. Balance was like yours after the larger rudder added some tail weight. Now it will knife edge the length of our field and hover till you get tired, but it won't climb enough to do a knife edge loop. - Just not enough side area for that.

Swaped the small tank for a 10 oz. one to feed the thirsty .72 so there went the tail weight gains Still the answer to the original question ended up 4" for me.

quint