Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Is my LHS clueless about electric helis???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Is my LHS clueless about electric helis???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:49 PM
bmratc72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my LHS clueless about electric helis???

A few months ago I bought a Voyager E from my LHS without any prior knowledge of electric Helis (it was an impulse buy). He gave me everything I needed to get going.

Initially I would get 5-6 minutes of flight time on the battery, which seemed to be standard from what I've read. Just recently, after about a minute of flight time the motor dies. When I get the Heli to the ground, throttle down then throttle back up, I get nothing. Even after unplugging the Battery and trying again, nothing until it cools down for about 10 minutes. I still have flight control but no power.

Well... I noticed the battery he sold me is a 9.6 volt battery, and the stock FET says 8.4. I don't know if this is bad...I assume it is. The guy at my LHS told me the battery will work fine on the Heli, and that its either the FET or the Motor. I am having a hard time believing that, because the battery voltage is higher than the FET. 2nd, the LHS only sold the one voyager to me and stopped selling them because they deal more with nitro, so I feel he might not have a clue. I just don't have enough knowledge to call him out.

Can someone please tell me if I am right or not, and how to fix the problem.

Thanks a million
Old 04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Jerrykl720

Default RE: Is my LHS clueless about electric helis???

It should be the motor problem!
I have a EP Concept SR , It has the same problem too , must upgrade the motor !
may be to brushless motor! Or same high rpm and toq motor ( 3000-4000 rpm)

Jerry
Old 04-04-2004, 12:17 AM
FHHuber
Banned

The one extra cell is usually not going to be a problem for the electronics. (that's the difference between a 8.4 pack and 9.6 pack ... 1 cell)

The stock E-heli motors tend to burn out. Some of the motors used are VERY cheap (50 cents each if you buy from the correct source) This makes them essentially disposable. (cheaper to buy a 50 cent motor every other flight than buying fuel for a glow heli) Upgrade motors are not necessarilly expensive... I've seen "500" size 12 volt 12,000 rpm rated motors at Radio Shack for under $3. (Radio Shack is NOT the cheapest place to get such things...)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:19 PM
ozoneone

bmratc72,
Yes the rating of 8.4V is consertive and the only way to get the VE in the air is with 8 (9.6V) or more cells. Search the Electric Helicopters section on www.rcgroups.com and you will find the answers to all your questions about the VE. The stock motor & ESC are unfortunately useless and the only way the distributor (Horizon) sells the VE is packaged with motor & ESC. I have read of a few people that use them, but many, many more who don't. The standard setup is a Hacker C40-8L and a Castle Creations or Hacker brushless ESC. Once you try the Brushless setup you'll be shocked how much better it is. And if your LHS is clueless about electric helis, don't be surprised. Good luck!