Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

40% AI 300S Surface Alignment. How?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

40% AI 300S Surface Alignment. How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 11:50 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40% AI 300S Surface Alignment. How?

I didn't get any instructions or manuals with the used 330S I bought. It's time to set up the linkages and I'm not sure what to line up the elevators with? When I lay a straightedge in the middle of the surface, the offsets at the end of the elevators are off, and when I line up the offsets, the middle of the surface isn't what I expected? Is there anyone out there that's done this and can lend a hand? Most confusing. Can I expect the same confusion when I get to the ailerons. Thanks_bob
Old 06-20-2002, 01:21 AM
IFLY3W
My Feedback: (5)

Default Align ele's

Bob, align the ele's by looking at the TE of the surface. Don't go by the air balance, otherwise, you'll have more problems when you go to fly it for the first time. What I do is just kinda tape the air balance to the stab, at the LE of the surface. Then I center all the servos, and then get the horns on and adjust the linkages accordingly. Then go ahead and get your throws set, and you are done with the ele's!!

Ail's are no sweat!! Align them with the wing root, and set up!! Be sure NOT to have any bidning in the servos. If you do, you could possibly damage the servo, not to mention, strip it.

Good luck!!

Chris~
Old 06-20-2002, 02:36 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob

Maybe it's more obvious than I realized/read but I am confused by your question...

Are you asking how to center the elevators in relation to the stab for the neutral position or center? Same for the aileron's I assume...

When setting a GS Airplane I HIGHLY recommend you obtain a surface deflection meter. This tool allows you to verify you center and end point travel adjustments very accurately. This tool really is a must.......
Old 06-20-2002, 02:49 AM
mglavin

Default Re: Align ele's

Originally posted by IFLY3W
Bob, align the ele's by looking at the TE of the surface. Don't go by the air balance, otherwise, you'll have more problems when you go to fly it for the first time. What I do is just kinda tape the air balance to the stab, at the LE of the surface. Good luck!!

Chris~
Chris

Your comments are contradicting each other are they not? If you tape the counter-balances in place then you are using them as the fixed reference point... Which is OK for the initial setup.

I would fix the counter-balance as mentioned or there are other ways. Center the servos, adjust and attach the linkage. Use one of the elevators as a reference point by attaching the deflection meter and ZERO it out, then mock up the second elevator, adjust the linkage to match the ZERO reference point of the previous elevator half... The secret here is to ZERO the meter and move it to the second surface without disrupting the ZERO'd scale reference point. Otherwise the exercise was MOOT...

Sounds kinda confusing but it's very simple.

Aligning the elevator's trailing edge's by looking at them will most likely result in a model that has strange rolling tendencies, when elevator is applied, ever so slightly perhaps but noticeable. Use a deflection meter as mentioned in the above post... Use the meter with all surfaces...
Old 06-20-2002, 08:09 AM
bob_nj

Are you asking how to center the elevators in relation to the stab for the neutral position or center? Same for the aileron's I assume...
That is exactly what I am hunting for Mike. If I had my camera it would be easier to visualize maybe, but that's it, neutral so the first takeoff isn't a balloon or a dive. I do have a set of the deflection meters and understand that concept. It's just trying to deal with that rounded stab to get the elevator neutral. Thanks
Old 06-20-2002, 12:28 PM
mglavin

Bob

You have a set of deflection meters? Are we talking about G/P 's setup? If so they are not adequate IMO. for this application. They do not have the scale resolution and or a common reference point when comparing side to side.

Take a look at this one on Central Hobbes website.

http://centralhobbies.com/tools.html#THROW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14968_22.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	9607  
Old 06-20-2002, 12:41 PM
bob_nj

Default They're the ones

I've used them since my pattern days and wouldn't be without them. I'm still a bit on exactly what to do next with the elevators?
I would fix the counter-balance as mentioned or there are other ways
Thanks again_bob
Old 06-20-2002, 01:02 PM
mglavin

I like to fix the counter-balance in place either allow someone to hold it, tape it or I sometimes use two pieces of wood, size of a couple 12" rulers should do fine. I put one on top and one on bottom, attach rubber bands at either end. This holds the surface in the center or neutral plane. It self centers the surface.

I then proceed to setup the linkage, set one elevator for the reference point and then match the second elevator to the first at center or neutral.

Your not using Matchboxes on the stabs are you?

Adjust the servos for center and full range travel mechannicallyas best as possible first. Then with the appropriate channel sub-trim [center] and ATV or end point to achieve like travel in both directions... It's very important to match throws in both direction and at center or neutral.

Are you using two meters, one on each surface? If so are you ZEROING them together on the same same surface initially for a reference point?
Old 06-20-2002, 01:10 PM
bob_nj

Default OK

SO if I understand correctly, affix the counter-balance via one of the afforementioned methods and use that as the reference! Got it. No, the plane did not use matchboxes on the elevators or ailerons. I plan to do the best I can by switching and swapping arms and using sub-trim and travel adjust. I do have two meters and use the method you describe. I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks_bob