Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

aerohawk day one...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

aerohawk day one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 06:29 PM
ALLISONMO2
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerohawk day one...

so i spent the past two weeks playing with fms and it helped tremendously. also in another age i did fly glow helis.....
anyway i managed a mostly controlled wobbly spin around my shop and i figured that was pretty good. i seem to have the most luck with spooling up quickly and hopping up to about 2 feet. three problems so far.
1.) damn battery pack keeps fallng out. i can fix that one.
2.) pretty wobbly at full throttle. happens low - happens high 10-13 feet(outside) too windy. tried angling blades forward a bit to get them to seat themselves and that helps a little for a while.
3._had unwound antenna for outside flight in anticipation for some back yard circuits (yeah right) and came back inside and proceded to get the wobble,wrap up the antenna in the head during wobble and break one of the swash links in half and shorten my antenna to a less than desirable 4". i have glued the link back together and tomorrow i will solder the antenna back together. i amputting it away for the night.
4) i forgot there was a 4, i seem to have almost no directional control during the one sustained hover(10 seconds mabye). should i move the control rods in on the servo horns?
thanks.
will keep you posted.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:46 PM
BENZITO

Default RE: aerohawk day one...

1) I sthe rubber band on the bottom of the holder to tension the battery? If so use a tighter one and balance the battery till the heli is level in weight from front to rear by holding it from the fly bar and making all four corners of the skids contact the ground evenly.
2)Dont tighten your blades too much leave them loose enough so the rotor speed balances them out by itself .
3) you got the antenna lesson learned yourself on where not to put it. I have mine going back to the tail support leg but not on the tail shaft itself because I heard it causes interference.
4)browse through the forums and you will find aerohawk setup tips I think theres a thread called "aerohawk setup saga" it will tell you the basics like your swashplate must be level ,fly paddles level and even length on each side .

And my free tip of the day which most will agree on (since I learned it here ) Trim Your Blades for more response,Stability and ease of flight . I cut 5mm on the trailing edge of the blade at the root down to 1 or 0 at the tip . What this does is increases your rotor speed- Good luck and dont give up!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:33 PM
ALLISONMO2

well the wobbling is less noticeable now. i think it's because the battery was dying. i dunno. yes i do have a rubber band on the battery twisted 3 times. i will tape it in. i have it balanced well.i have no forward or reverse control. the servo moves but the swashplate just wiggles a bit. i will take it apart tomorrow and check to see if there are any binding parts that need to be sanded. i have tightened the flybar down enough now i have yaw control. i had it too loose before and the flybar could rotte. hey i better check to see if it is still centered too. mabye that was what was causing the wobble. i think the whole head may be too sloppy for precise control. what do you guys think? now i'm really done for the night.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:35 PM
ALLISONMO2

day two.
pulled the rotor and cut the tips off the blades and trimmed the trailing edge. replaced the flybar with a metal insulation support rod. approx 1.5" shorter. all trying to get head speed up. still haven't had time to make a head brace. save that for tomorrow. my cf flybar was cracked all the length. figure that was causing the wobble. took apart the head and sanded outside of part 29 to reduce friction. cut off rubber tubing from main shaft and put on wheel collar. re-assemble. went outside. spooled up much better. took off and actually had some directional control. not a lot but much more than yesterday. got it up around head hight and actually had some more or less controlled flight. longest sustained flight mabye 30 seconds. still wobbles every now and then. crashed a few times. rotoe popped off twice. re-broke link from rotor to swash. re-glued. re-glued cracked landing gear. re-glued broken off tail support rod. finally rubberbanded the crap out of the battery pack and it stays in now. can't wait for my new swash plate. also can't wait for my new hhs wooden blades and new motor. had a good day of tinkering. had a decent day of flying(or hopping sometimes). i am not the least bit discouraged. i have found it to be much more durable than i expected and easir to control . once i get the new blades and put on my head stiffener and swashplate i may actually gain control and really start to have fun. the wobble still worries me though. i have held it at all kinds of different points and it seems balanced. i guess i will keep playing with it.
see you tomorrow.