Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Four Stroke Maintenance

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Four Stroke Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:16 AM
rscarawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Stroke Maintenance

Since I do not see an engine discussion forum, I figured I would post this here.

I have a Saito 91 that is about 6 years old and I noticed it does not have the power that some other's have. I did some rpm comparisons on many props just for some benchmarking and I always came up about 300-500 rpm short of other Saito 91's. This engine has about 15 gallons thru it (Omega 10-15%) and I also noticed that the compression was becoming weak on occasion.

I removed the cylinder liner from the crank case, pulled off the rocker arms and the exhaust. I blew into the cylinder and heard air coming out the exhaust side due to the valve not seating. I pulled that valve out, and it had a light amount of carbon on it. I cleaned it with a razor gently on all areas except the seat and the stem where it enters the guide. Then I rubbed it with a scotch brite pad until the carbon was thinned and shiney. I placed the valve back in the engine and all my compression came back.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go flying and did the same rpm checks. I noticed that across all tested props, I got a 200-700 rpm increase. The props that tended to turn lower rpm had the least improvement.

Just an FYI is you burn castor oil.

Scot
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Deadeye

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Four Stroke Maintenance

Thanks for the info. I have also heard of guys using pencil eraser to remove the carbon. I cannot vouche for this method, however, as both of my 4 strokes (Saito 100 and Magnum 91) are too new yet. I would think a plastic brush on a Dremel would work well too.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:43 AM
rscarawa

I think the plastic brush would work well too. My guess is that if you run total synthetic oil, you would avoid these issue. I just feel more comfortable with a littel castor in the mix.

Scot
Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

It appears you did a valve job. You must be very careful as the valve faces are very small and delicate. I would shy away from a Dremel even with a plastic brush. Take it slow and avoid the risk of permanent and fatal damage. After six years and still getting the performance is great.

Cheers,

Chip Morrison
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 PM
campbec

My Saito instruction manual states that the warranty is voided if you use castor oil. Mine run perfectly on 20% Coolpower Oil, 10% Nitro and 70% Methanol. When I adjusted the valves on a 90 (about ten years old with lots of work) I removed the valves to check for carbon build up and they were clean (albeit discoloured).

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-29-2004, 07:01 AM
rscarawa

The Saito warranty is not voided for using castor. It states it is voided if you use 100% castor oil. Omega fuel is only 30% castor and 70% synthetic.

Scot
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
SDR-Hammer

ORIGINAL: rscarawa

Since I do not see an engine discussion forum, I figured I would post this here.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Engines%2C_Giant_Engines_%26amp%3B_Fuel_Talk/forumid_98/tt.htm]Engines, Giant Engines & Fuel Talk[/link]