Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DA50 carb fuel draw question (installed on WildHare Edge 540)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50 carb fuel draw question (installed on WildHare Edge 540)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DA50 carb fuel draw question (installed on WildHare Edge 540)

Hi,

I test start the DA50 on the WildHare Edge 540 today. Everything is normal except that I need to close the small hole on the choke (plate) for the fuel to be drawn to the carb. Flipping the prop alone (about 10 times) was not enough. The choke was fully closed.

Is that normal?

Thanks --NonstopRC
Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Futurase
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA50 carb fuel draw question (installed on WildHare Edge 540)

Is your tank below the carb??? If it it then it is having to push the fuel uphill. The tank should be in line with ideally or slightly above the carb to stop this. If slightly above then fuel will flow to the carb guaranteed. I always shoot for inline if I can get it.

Scooter Ross
Old 04-11-2004, 10:13 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I too started mine up for the first time Saturday (same plane BTW). The first time needed about 10-15 flips with the choke on and nothing. I opened up throttle some and it popped in about 2 more flips. Opened the choke and it started on the next flip. I started it up again at the field about 2 hours later and it was 4 flips choked until it popped, then started on the second flip. Couldn't have been happier. Until some nasty rock took off the tip of my prop.[]

I would make sure that the vent line is not pinched. Also you might be sucking air into the fuel line. Mine are secured with cable ties were it goes onto the fittings. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Howie-RCU

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi NonstopRC

I know you said the choke was fully closed but double check. I had a DA50 that gave no problems drawing fuel initially then it later developed your symptoms. I was initially closing the choke with a piece of bent wire fed in thought the front of the cowl. Then I found I could fit my hand up underneath the cowl and use my fingers to close the choke. It turns out that it was a bit hit and miss with this method and sometimes the choke wasn't fully closed. I tested it on the bench with the cowl off and the choke only needs to open half a hair and it will be reluctant to draw fuel. The tank is 3" below the carb level and it has no problems drawing fuel with the choke fully closed. Double check your choke is closing.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Tank placement has no effect whatsoever on fuel draw using a Walbro...They will draw fuel at least 4 feet straight up, and if the tank is higher than the carb there is no problem with gravity, it take about 8 lbs pressure to force fuel past the inlet needle if the engine is not running....You could put your fuel tank 8 feet above the carb with no effect on the fuel flow.....
Old 04-11-2004, 11:09 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

jon595....I started it up again at the field about 2 hours later and it was 4 flips choked until it popped, then started on the second flip. Couldn't have been happier....Was this with the throt. fully open?

Thanks,

Gunny
Old 04-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Yup, same for me, 4 choke flips (half throttle)..POPPPOPPPOPP, choke off (servo driven) 2nd or 3rd flip...Bammmmm every single time.
A restart within 10 mins of the prev flight is a ONE FLIP start.
Way too cool..
Old 04-11-2004, 11:57 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

Gunny 11,
After the first time I raised my idle trim all the way up with the choke closed. This did the trick. The instructions tell you to open the throttle with the choke closed! I started it up at the same throttle setting (just with the choke open) and my friend told me to throttle it down because it was digging in to the back of his calves.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I test start the DA50 on the WildHare Edge 540 today

If it was the very first start for this engine and knowing where the tank is located, it's normal for it to take a lot of flips to initially get the fuel line filled. After the first time everything should be fine.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 AM
deputydog

I had the same problem with my DA-50 on the very first start. In fact I couldnt get it started even with a starter. Sent it back to DA and they got it started. No problems since. They just said it was having problems with the initial prime(they duplicated the problem). No problems since...
Old 04-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

If the engine had never been run, it's possible that the inlet needle was stuck to the seat..There's a grey coating on the needle to stop this, but maybe it didn't work...
Old 04-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

I just fueled my WH Edge/DA-50 today for the first time. I was curious to see just how much flipping it would need.
Well, it wasn't bad at all. I had everything open so it was easy to see it pulling fuel.

I put it up on compression and pumped the prop about 5 times and the fuel was up to the carb. A lot better than I expected, the hole in the choke plate is soldered closed.

Bad weather prevented me from starting the engine, maybe tomorrow. I didn't think it was a good idea to start it in the garage..
Old 04-13-2004, 09:35 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Why not? Have it set up right at the edge of the garage door with it wide open and face the exhaust out into the open air.

Gunny