Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Vacuum Forming Question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Vacuum Forming Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Roodester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Forming Question

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have a Twinstar (which I love) and because they are not being manufactured any more, I would like to be able to vacuum form the plastic parts for replacement when they finally crack from vibration and use. I have already made molds of the wingtips and nacelle covers.

I borrowed a vacuum former from a friend who has never used it, but I'm not sure of what kind of plastic sheeting to use nor where to get it. My friend doesn't know the answer to this question either, so I'm addressing it here.

I have heard the word coroplast, but don't know what that is.

Can anyone give me any advice on the best plastic to use and where to get it?

Thanks

Roodester
Old 05-13-2003, 06:02 PM
dogsbody

Squadron Mail Order in Carrollton,Texas - www.squadron.com. They are a mail order company that specializes in Plastic scale model airplane kits. They sell 5x8" sheets of white styreen plastic in thicknesses of .010,.020,.030,.040,.050 and I believe .060. Their prices are pretty reasonable. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
00hex

Corroplast looks just like cardboard made out of plastic. It's usually white and frequently used in signs. (Take a close look at some of those campaign signs next time there's an election)

You can make tails, wings, and even entire planes (SPADs - not the WWI sort) out of it. Unfortunately it isn't well suited to complicated curves (it only bends well in one direction), probably can't be vacuum formed, and is rather thick and heavy for the parts you're making.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First make plaster of paris molds of all of the plastic parts that you want to reproduce.

Then, any plastics house can sell you "high impact styrene" in what ever thickness you want. About $7.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet. The thickness will depend on how much vacuum you can pull.

Les
Old 05-14-2003, 01:24 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Micro Mark catalog lists several sizes, types and thicknessesin their catalog. Try www.micromark.com
Old 05-15-2003, 01:39 PM
Roodester

Thanks,

I appreciate the advice.

Roodester