Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

kANGAROO TAKE OFFS IN CROSS WIND

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

kANGAROO TAKE OFFS IN CROSS WIND

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 10:08 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default kANGAROO TAKE OFFS IN CROSS WIND

OK

ONE MORE FOR YOU experts.

I have two Kangaroos that I enjoy flying. One has fixed canards and one is stock.

The kangaroo with the fixed canards takes off in 75 feet the other in 125 feet. I fly off an airport that has only one runway. Most of the time there is a slight cross wind (about 10 MPH). Here is my problem on both of the jets.

As the airplanes picks up speed on the take off roll all of a sudden they will weather wane into the wind even with the application of the correct rudder.

Needless to say the wingtips and the tires take a good beating.

Here is what I think is happening. As the weight on the nose gear is decreasing due to lift and the fact that the main gear is so close to the CG the jet will have a strong tendency to wetherwane. The two large fins with relatively small rudders do not seem to help.

Has anyone experienced this? and if so are there any hints.

If I take off into the wind the planes take off perfecly.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 02:30 AM
S HARRIS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCMAN, HOW STIFF IS YOUR NOSE GEAR ASSEMBLY , I SEEM THIS OFTEN AT OUR FIELD, TOO MUCH SIDE MOVEMEMT (SWAYING) YOU BETTER BE ON THE RUDDERS.
HOPE THIS HELPS, SCOTT
Old 06-24-2002, 11:20 AM
Pete S-RCU

On mine I use full throttle to hold the nose wheel firmly on the ground. The high engine pushes it down. Works good for me, by the time the nose lifts the rudders are more effective.
It makes the take off roll onger, but the higher speed seems to help control authority.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:13 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I'm with pete on this one! I fly from a field that consistantly has a 10 to 15 mph cross wind. Never have a problem with the plane wanting to vane into the wind with full throttle. I line the plane up on the center line, hold full brakes and apply full throttle. Release the brakes when engine is up to speed and hold just a tad up elevator till I am ready to rotate.
Todd
Old 06-24-2002, 02:03 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Originally posted by lov2flyrc
I line the plane up on the center line, hold full brakes and apply full throttle. Release the brakes when engine is up to speed Todd
What brake system do you have. My Roo will run down the runway with full brakes applied if I give it full power.

Let me know your secret.

……ghost rider…..(Roo pilot, more than 500 flights and stop counting)
Old 06-25-2002, 12:25 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Hey Ben,

Using BVM's sport wheels. I only hold brakes till the engine comes up to speed (not full power but close) then release. My brakes will hold until I hit about 3/4 power (about 18 lbs thrust) and then they start to slip. It took me a while to learn how much Oring lube to apply to the brake hub to get just the right amount of braking power. I hate having to remove the wheels to lube them when the braking is just right

When ya commin south to fly with me
BRG,
Todd
Old 06-25-2002, 02:30 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Todd

I have a 1000 in my Roo, and I lube the breaks so that it hardly locks up. Early this year, I started my take off roll with full breaks (not intentionally). I dragged the airplane across a wet grass field at full power and it took a long roll to get airborne.

I do not know when I can make it down to Florida, but will keep you posted when the time comes.

Have a wonderful day my friend.