Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Pro Epoxy EWWW!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Great Planes Pro Epoxy EWWW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:37 PM
midnitedew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Pro Epoxy EWWW!!!!

holy cow!!! i just ordered and recieved some Great Planes Pro Epoxy 30min and i started cutting the tops on the tubes and all of a sudden i thought i sh*t my pants!!! im serious!!! i checked twice to make sure i didnt Sh*T my pants!!! this epoxy smells like SH*T ! literally! sheesh! has anyone ever used this epoxy and have you noticed the same thing? before this i have always used the devcon 2ton epoxy and when this "run out" no pun intended i will switch back to Devcon!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Pro Epoxy EWWW!!!!

LOL. Perhaps it was your breath? Joking. My GP Pro epoxy smells like perm solution.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:07 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

That's a sign of how old it is, if it's yellowing then is pretty old! I have a few bottles of that junk, no matter how carefull I mix it in equal portions, it stays tacky and the 45 minute sets up in 1 1/2 hours instead of 45 minutes, go figure?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:15 PM
FHHuber
Banned

If the epoxy stinks its probably bad. It should have a chemical odor that is not very strong, not a smell that will drive you out of the room just by opening the bottle for a few seconds.

I've used a LOT of epoxy and never had any old enough that it smelled that bad, but I have heard of it. Usually when my epoxy's hardener starts to yellow (about 6 months to 1 year old) I quit using that batch for structure and just use it for fuelproofing firewalls. When it starts to be thicker (another 6 months) I toss it.

I have had 2 hour epoxy that took up to 2 days to quit being tacky... (generally find that I didn;t use as much hardener as i should have when that happens.) I've never had good 5 min or 30 min epoxy that failed to be hard within the list time or double. I've had it set faster (10 min and it was a rock with 30 min epoxy) when mixing a large batch in a warm room.

Never had a problem with Tower brand stuff... I am using some of thier 15 min, 30 min and 2 hour stuff on a plane now.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:27 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I still have some Hobby Poxy II that is over 12 years old and is still good to use. Sets in 45 minutes, cured next day, and is hard but flexible from then on. This was the best epoxy ever made. I use Anchor Bond now but save the Hobby Poxy for special applications.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:25 PM
voyager_663rd

I've read (here?) that if the epoxy is hard in the bottle, 10-15 seconds in the microwave will get it nice and free flowing again. Don't know about the aroma tho.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
midnitedew

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

I've read (here?) that if the epoxy is hard in the bottle, 10-15 seconds in the microwave will get it nice and free flowing again. Don't know about the aroma tho.
yea, i dont know about the age of the stuff i guess its new i JUST recieved it from tower hobbies.. but MAN does it stink!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:56 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

If the epoxy smells it probably has mercaptin in it. Same stink that is in propane for detection.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got some of that Greatplanes 30 min. epoxy recently and I had to throw it away. No matter how carefully I mixed it it just would not harden![:@] It must have been real old or something. I find that the regular 30 min. epoxy from the Hobby Shop always works.

Jim
Old 04-25-2004, 12:53 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

If the epoxy is cold before mixing it will set up slower, I just use my heat gun to wam the bottle a little until it flows good, then I mix the two and it will set in normal times and dry, tack free in double the stated set-up time. When ever you use an evaporative thinner, it will slow dry times because you loose too much heat while the stuff evaporates. Heating epoxy after it's mixed doesn't really speed up curing for some strange reason.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:49 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

I got the towwer hobbies 30 min epoxy, yah pretty smelly. And my main problem is it sets in 5 min not 30!!! I found out I have to work FAST with it!