Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How do I cut styrofoam sucessfully?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How do I cut styrofoam sucessfully?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 PM
mbortner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I cut styrofoam sucessfully?

I have several pieces of styrofoam that I'd like to use to scratch-build a glider with. How can I cut it without it just crumbling?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 01:01 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Carefully... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Most common is to use a hot wire cutter. You get some stranded steel fishing leader, or light guage nickle-chromeium (NiChrome) wire, add a variable resistor (high current capacity) and a 12 V power supply. The wire is streched between 2 dowels inserted in holes in a 2X2.
The airfoil shape (cut from heat resistant material...) is glued on the ends of the styro sheet. The wire is carefully pulled from LE to TE.

It takes some practice to find the right temp and rate of pull... The wire HAS to be tight when hot, so the dowels have to spring load the wire.

You can also rough shape the foam by cutting with a hacksaw blade, then block sand the final shape.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:13 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

But with Fred's second suggestion, it's best done outdoors, in an area were the styro-dust won't affect the enviroment. The little particles will cling to any static-charged surface, and are easily blown about a room with the slightest air disturbance. And trying to vaccum it up!! man, talk about a 'fun time'! you suck in from one end, only to have the vacuum's exhaust blow other bits about the room!! haha!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sorry, reliving days gone by!

No, the best is the hot wire method. Some use a battery charger as teh power source for the wire. RCM magazine has a 'foam cutting' anthology book that is definitley worth the money if you're keen to cut your own cores..

Adjustable knives (Olfa, -Acto, NT, etc..) work wel, as the blade, fully extended can be used to cleanly carve the stryofoam...

And I'll leave you with this thought: I have a 1/6 scale spitfire, with foam core wings.... scratch built....

think about it...