Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

floats: Cover or glass?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

floats: Cover or glass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:55 PM
avistar181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default floats: Cover or glass?

I want to put a set of GP .20 size floats on my cub but im not sure whether i should cover the floats or fiberglass them?? Does anyone have a suggestion of preference??
Old 05-16-2003, 06:17 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Properly covered they will be waterproofed adequately. You don't HAVE to fiberglass them.

I'd recommend a mix... Fiberglass reinforce the areas of the bottom of the floats where you will be most likely to scrape them up when you pull to shore, or make a landing on grass.

fiberglassing the whole float on a .20 size... you are likely to end up too heavy for decent flight performance.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:43 PM
avistar181

thanks for the advice!! I never glassed anything excpet the wing joint to my cap 232 arf when I spread epoxy through the meshing of the fiberglass cloth. I am assuming that is what fiberglassing is. Then covering over that. I am installing a 40 FP for some extra power, (dont plan on vary many aerobatics but i like the safety of being able to power out of a manuever.)