Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

cutting a cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

cutting a cowl

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 08:27 AM
brittgo6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting a cowl

I am getting ready to cut a cowl. What tool seems to work the best?
Old 04-23-2004, 10:01 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: cutting a cowl

fiberglass or plastic? a dremel with a rotary cutting bit (looks like a drillbit) works great, but go slow and be careful.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:01 AM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

brittgo6,

When I started to cut cowls, either fiberglas or plastic, I used the tools that my son and I use for our RC cars. Ofna makes some good tools to ream holes and cut plastic/fiberglass. Try them.

Lew
Old 04-23-2004, 10:48 AM
J_R

If you have a dremel, this is the place to use it. For larger holes, use the sanding drums. Go slow and check often.

For small holes a Rotozip bit works well, but is harder to use where longer edges are requirred and still keep the cut smooth.

Basically the same thing rkramer said.

Try the different bits you have in the center of the holes so that you have a future reference, then clean the edges up with the ones you prefer.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:35 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

If you need to make a long straight cut tape a metal straight edge to the cowl and let the Dremel ride along the edge, works great.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I use the Dremel cut-off wheels, or a Sears diamond wheel that is similar (but will never shatter like the Dremel one) Grind the rough opening a bit inside the lines so you can use a sadning drum to smooth out the edges.

This works on both the ABS and the fiberglass cowls. [8D]
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
brittgo6

Thanks for all the suggestions. How do you find where to drill a hole for the needle valve? Do you just eye ball it and hope for the best?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: brittgo6

How do you find where to drill a hole for the needle valve? Do you just eye ball it and hope for the best?
You don't want to eye ball it. My needle valve extension is right in the middle of the hole in the cowl as shown below:

There are many good ways to determine the location of the hole. I either:

1) measure from a reference line drawn on the fuse out to the needle valve or
2) tape a piece of long card board on the fuse so that it touches the needle valve, mark the spot on the card board where the needle valve touches, lift the card board up (with the end still taped to the fuse), slide the cowl on, lay the card board back down onto the cowl, transfer the mark from the card board to the cowl.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:58 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Richard's #2 suggestion. The cardboard works great.
Dennis-
Old 04-23-2004, 09:13 PM
rc-sport

Instead of card board I've started to use See Temp. You can see where everything is behind it.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:21 PM
brittgo6

Richard thanks for the suggestion it worked. How due I attched the extension wire on the needle valve with the cowling on. I'll need a very long allen wrench. If I put the extension on first I can't seem to get the cowling on. Thanks
Old 04-24-2004, 02:16 PM
MerlinL14

Make sure the hole is just big enough for the whole needle assembly, remove the needle assembly, fit the cowl then screw the needle assembly back in.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: brittgo6

If I put the extension on first I can't seem to get the cowling on. Thanks
I just cut a hole big enough for the 2-56 pushrod wire that I use as an extension wire. Put the cowl on, insert the extension wire into the needle valve, and use an allen wrench with a straight handle (the one sold by Dubro, Sears, or Great Planes) to tighten the set screw holding the extension wire in place. Don't use those short allen wrenches with a 90-degree bend in them. You can get to the set screw either from the front of the cowl or from below.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:22 AM
les2097
My Feedback: (508)

I do needle valves a little different....

First, get a hex head servo screw and cut it off to leave about 1/4" of thread. Next, back out the set screw from your needle valve a little and drill the end hole out to just fit the servo screw. Then insert the servo screw and tighten the set screw. Now you have the perfect adjusting tool...

Next, do the cardboard trick as above and mark the hex head for the servo screw in your needle valve. Drill a small hole in the cowl (1/8" ) and you're finished...!! All you need is a ball end screw driver that fits the hex head of the servo screw... and you can adjust your needle valve without ANYTHING hanging out of the cowl... a really nice clean look... and it's very easy to get the cowl on and off...!! If you want, you can slip in a very small rubber gromet into the 1/8" hole for a professional look.

Best of flying...

Larry
Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 AM
rc-sport

After you drill the hole for the needle valve extension install a rubber grommet that is used for servo mounting on the cowl. It will keep the extension from cracking the cowl as it vibrates.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:42 PM
platero

attach an X-acto blade to your soldering iron with some iron wire, when is very hot you can cut the cowl like butter
Old 05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

HI

a method I use with good results is to mark cutout on cowl and drill closely spaced holes along cut line then I either use an exacto !19 knife or a small saw blade with dremel tool depending on size of cut.

good luck and happy flying

joe