Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What type of covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What type of covering

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:59 PM
jamcgee313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of covering

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I have a Great Planes Super Sportster 40 that is ready to cover. It is my second plane and I have no experience in covering. I want yto keep the cost of covering it to a minimum. I saw that Tower Hobbies has its brand of plastic covering called Towerkote for $7 a roll and that is the cheapest I've seen. I would like to hear from people who have used Towerkote and would like to know the difference between Towerkote and regular Monokote and if I should just spend a couple more bucks per roll and go with the name brand stuff.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:12 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Towerkote is OK. Its lighter and easier to damage than Monokote. I cover a lot of .25 powered and smaller planes with it. I have covered a 4*60 with it. (powered with a .91 4-stroke)

No problems... in fact it is easier for me to get compound curves to come out neatly with Towerkote than with MonoKote. Towerkote is also good for white styro wings, as it goes on at a lower temp.

If you land in the weeds a lot... you need MonoKote or other strong covering on the bottom.

Bad point: If the adhisive side touches itself, its bonded instantly (and will rip before it comes apart). Be careful when peeling the backing to not let the unprotected covering fold double.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:03 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hobby Shack is going to have Monocote on sale for $8.99 a roll. The Tower stuff is not as strong as the real stuff or Ultracote.

Dru.