Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

rick I need one more thing

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

rick I need one more thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:30 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rick I need one more thing

Hey or anyone who looks at this..... My jabo's tail motor get its power from the mail motor. What I mean by that is the power lead for the tail gos to the main motor.....do you link this is the cause for when I put power to my main, I lose tail power? I have the dd system now and it seams when I steer the main blades I lose tail power. If this is the problem I wanna fix it.

Will the 3 in one thing you have rick work with a heading hold gyro or no? I have no clue on that stuff.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:54 AM
justin_92_92

Default RE: power problem anyone help please

these are some pics to help.Damn stock jabo.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52582.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	126101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96226.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	126102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94556.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	126103  
Old 04-25-2004, 12:41 PM
RickyT63

Default RE: problem anyone help please I GOT PICS

Justin,
Both main & tail motor get power from battery. Jabo's wired differently when compare to others but all lead to battery so there's no problem with Jabo wiring.
DD tail motor draw more current than stock tail motor and stock nimh battery may not provide sufficient current that's why you seems to loose power like you've stated. You may want to try Li-poly battery.
Jabo uses all-in-1 (mixer/ecs/gyro/receiver) so there's no way that you can add HH gyro.

Will the 3 in one thing you have rick work with a heading hold gyro or no?
I assume that you're asking about Pha-01 3-in-1 board... Well, I did a quick install CSM HLG200 gyro to Pha-01 board and it seems to me that it doesnt work correctly. I should have spend more time to tinker with this setup but since I have 2 ecs's laying around, I removed Pha-01 and tried seperate setup.

Regards
Old 04-25-2004, 03:37 PM
justin_92_92

yeah. mabey it is the battery thing like you said rick. I am going back to stock so I can at least still fly. I will soon get all the seperates like you have recomended to me in the past. I wrote them all down so I would remember them....I will let you know before I buy so I can make sure that these are the right things. thanx for the help.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:33 PM
RickyT63

Justin,
I use 2 configurations for my Jabo.
1) Non-HeadHolding:
- J250 (Johnson) main motor.
- DirectDrive or Dual motor for tail.
- GWS 4-channel receiver.
- GWS Pha-01 3in1 (mixer/ecs/gyro) with mixer gain/gyro gain.
- ThunderPower 2S 1300mah Li-Poly battery.
2) HeadHolding:
- J250 (Johnson) main motor.
- DirectDrive or Dual motor for tail.
- GWS 4-channel receiver.
- CSM HLG200 HeadHolding gyro (lighted version).
- Pixie-7P ecs for main motor.
- ICS-50 ecs for tail motor.
- ThunderPower 2S 1300mah Li-Poly battery.
HeadHolding setup works fine to me but with a little bit of tail wagging due to the use of cheap ics-50 esc for the tail.
Hope this can help you to determine which parts to buy for next upgrade.
Regards
Old 04-25-2004, 08:13 PM
justin_92_92

well i bought some 370 motors.....will the pixi work with that?

I guess becouse the way my chips are now I dont get what is needed for operation if I go seperat. Well I know what I would need for a particulare set up but I dont know all the options. I know you need an esc. for both motors and a reciever. But loike the 3 in one chip you have...that eliminates the need for the two esc?

well actually I think I am getting it now that I type it out. If I want heading hold I have to buy everything seperate becouse there is no such thing as a 3in1 heading hold too. I guess I would like to know what your thoughts on the better system that you run is. I like the sound of heading hold as I dont like to have to mess with keeping the tail straight. But then again if I use the mixer I could probley get it pretty straight...you think?

WHich one do you like better? I did order 11 tail motors so I am going back to origanol for a while....got any info on tap's as in tapping the holes on a motor so they will accept the screws.. I know the size they need to be but when I look to buy the tap (wich is 22 bucks) it askes if I want tapper , plug, or bottoming......not sure what is what...lol i really appretiate your patience with me rick, especially on this electronics crap.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:31 AM
RickyT63

Justin,
Pixie-7P ecs is better than isc-100 ecs (7amp vs. 5amp), plus it's low voltage Cut-Off programmable. I'm pretty sure Pixie can handle 370 motor (Johnson J250 is more powerful than 370 and I have no problem with it).

The Pha-01 3in1 has mixer/ecs's/gyro combo so you dont need seperate ecs's. It can keep the tail quite steady but it does make heli drift to the right. While flying I do have to adjust the tail from time to time due to the drift, but I think it's a ok controller for the price you pay ($52.50).

I do like HeadHolding setup better than Pha-01 3in1 because it can hold direction very good (just a tiny tail wagging but doesnt affect performance). With this setup, I dont need to constantly adjust rudder which make learning much easier.

I believe tail motor already come tapped so you dont need to tap it. I use tail motors (Mabuchi, part# DCM166) from Allelectronics.com for dual tail setup with great success. I have put ~6hrs hovering with this dual tail setup with no sign of loss performance. Since you're going back to original tail setup, you may want to try this.

Regards
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 AM
justin_92_92

uh oh.....will the other small motor work that is at all electronics.com? I ordered 10 of them....and remember when I said I ordered 11....well one was from like90....turnes out I actually ordered the 250 motor from the. Oh well I hope I like it. I will most likely get the heading hold then.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
justin_92_92

rick....does this sound like the right pack I would want?

Thunder Power Lithium Polymer 1300 HD mAh 2 Cell Battery Pack With JST Connector- PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK AND READ BEFORE PURCHASING LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERIES

Applications: Speed 280, GWS EPS 370 motors and small brushless helicopters.

Rating - 7C Max Avg. Discharge
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
RickyT63

That's what i have.
Dont forget you will need Li-Poly charger also. CANNOT use Nicad/Nimh charger to charge Li-Poly battery.
For charger, I've bought BEL Li-Poly charger from http://www.parkflyermotors.com/secur...asp?itemid=106
It requires a 12V DC power supply (I use old computer PS).
Regards
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
justin_92_92

help rick......I was just about to buy all the nessisay components for hh setup but I am in a jam. You say I need a new transmitter rite? well what will work for me when I buy the reciever it askes jr or futaba...which one? oh and what is a better esc for the tail...I dont want it to move too much......the cheaper of the better...lol if thats possible.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:56 PM
justin_92_92

Default RE: rick I need one more thing

i am going with the thunder pack too
Old 04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
RickyT63

Justin,
When purchase both Rx & Tx should be of same type, AirTronics(Jr.) or Futaba/Hitec. I choose futaba/hitec because there are some cheap GWS Tx (futaba) if you're tight on budget.
Here are part's estimated cost for tight budget:
GWS R-4PII 72MHZ (Futaba) 4-channel Rx = ~$20.00 (vertical/horizontal)
GWS DreamStarter 4-channel Tx = ~$25.00 ver. I, ~$50.00 for ver II
UM1 Crystals for Rx = ~$5.00 (should match with Tx crystal)
Pixie-7P ECS for main motor = ~$31.00 (This is what I use)
or GWS ICS-100E (no brake) for main motor = ~$15.00 (This should work fine with J250 main motor)
GWS ICS-50E(no brake) for tail motor = ~$11.00 (This is what I use, cheapest but work ok, LoL)
CSM HLG200 (LightWeight ver.) HeadingHold Gyro = ~$79.00

You can order all of this except CSM gyro from http://www.balsapr.com to save shipping cost.
CSM gyro from http://www.helihobby.com
Or you can try ebay ....
Regards
Old 04-27-2004, 09:48 PM
justin_92_92

what would be a better tail esc....also what the differencein this GWS DreamStarter 4-channel Tx = ~$25.00 ver. I, ~$50.00 for ver II the pixi better then the gws?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:08 PM
RickyT63

Pixie-7P would be a better tail ecs if you dont mind spending ~$31.00.
GWS dreamstarter I : no simulator connector and discontinued.
GWS dreamstarter II: has simulator connector and it's 2004 version.
I personally use Hitec Flash5 with digital trim (~$80.00 ebay).
Regards
Old 04-27-2004, 10:40 PM
justin_92_92

thanx man lot cheeper there too
Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 AM
justin_92_92

Im so fricken stupid...must be....I cant figure this out. i wish it was a whole kit. it would be alot easier.
this is what I know I need:

CSM HLG200 Lightened Heading Lock Gyro
TP 2C LiPoly Pack 1300 mAh 7.4V
Hobbico Dual Quick field charger
GWS-R4PF Receiver 4 CH Futaba

Now what kind of crystals do I need. my buddy has channel 18 if that makes a difference. I am going to use his tx for a little while. He has the dream starter i believe ver 1. I want a different channel though then him so I can fly at the same time in the future.

I know the main speed controller i need which is pixi 7p......are you saying I can buy two of these and use one for tail too?
If not what would work but be really nice as far as handling is concerned.

It would be nice to keep it cheap but I would rather spend now then have obsolite parts after I upgrade....so I would rather spend a bit more now.

also what is the difference in the brake and no brake speed controllers?

I will give you pics of my upgrades as I do them so you can make sure I do it right. lol I owe you big time for helping me so much.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:58 AM
justin_92_92

also how many crystals do i need in total? and are they different ones?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
justin_92_92

will this all fit on my frame? Should I buy a new frame.....mabey the aluminum one?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:13 AM
justin_92_92

do you have aol of yahoo im? my name is yahoo= justin_92_92 aol= justinmrobinson it would be easier to chat.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:53 AM
RickyT63

Justin,
Tx already come with crystal and it cannot be changed by user (Tx has to be re-tuned by certified radio technician). So whatever channel assigned to your Tx, you will need to get matching channel for your Rx. In short, you only need 1 Rx crystal.
If you're going to use friend's Tx (ch 18) then you won't be able to fly at same time.
If you want to keep cost down, you can get these Tx:
- GWS DreamStarter (ver. I, II)= $25.00-$50.00
- Futaba SkySport = ~$25.00 (seen them on ebay)

If you plan to go collective pitch in the future like Zoom400 or the new Hummingbird Elite CP then I would suggest Futaba 7CHP Tx (~$150.00) with nice features such as 7 models memory, digital trim, throttle curve, pitch curve, etc, ...
Also 6-channel Rx is required for collective pitch (CP) heli.

For ECS's there are options from least (ok) to most(better) expensive:
1) GWS ISP-100E(main) + ISP-50E(tail) = ~$30.00
2) Pixie-7P(main) + ISP-50E(tail) = ~$50.00
3) Pixie-7P(main) + Pixie-7P(tail) = ~ $65.00
4) Pixie-20P(main) + Pixie-7P(tail) = ~$70.00 (Pixie-20P supports higher current and programmable)

As for brake, I think it's good for use in airplane but you dont want that in heli.
Everything I've learned is from forums like this so I just pass it along. There's no need to thank.
I hope I've answered all your Q's clearly. Let me know if there's anything i've missed.
Regards
Old 04-28-2004, 11:48 PM
justin_92_92

ok when ordering the reciever.....do I want negative shift or positive? do I want vertical pin or horizontal pin? and will the 6 channel work fine with my fixed pitch untill I get cp? I would like to spend the nit more now so incase i go to cp i will have it....just want to make sure itll work fine.

i see transmitters on ebay but they dont have crystals...they say throw your choice of crystal in it and your good to go....how come I cant do that to the tx my buddy has?

this will work for me too rite......GWS 4 CHANNEL TRANSMITTER - FUTABA (Negative Shift)

this what I would need for a reciever GWS R6N/F (Vertical Pin) - Negative it is out of stock so would this work or no becouse it is positive
GWS R6N/J (Vertical Pin) - Positive
Old 04-29-2004, 03:26 AM
RickyT63

AirTronics (Jr.) Tx is positive shift.
Futaba/Hitec Tx is negative shift.
GWS 6RN/F Rx will only work with Fataba/Hitec Tx.
GWS 6RN/J Rx will only work with AirTronics (Jr.) Tx.
Vertical/horizontal pin-out is just personal preference. IHMO, I like vertical pin-out.
So you need to choose Tx & Rx accordingly.
6-channel Rx will work fine with FP heli (only use 4 channels) and will work fine when upgrade to CP.
Remember CP heli like new Hummingbird Elite CP requires computerized radio that support CCPM.

Dont buy Tx without crystal on Ebay, those are good for sim trainer only. Choose those that come with crystal.
4-channel Tx with crystal on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...189883946&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...190050050&rd=1
Regards