Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JHH F-15 Vs Avonds F-15..... Do they fly the same ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JHH F-15 Vs Avonds F-15..... Do they fly the same ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:56 PM
NicholasT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JHH F-15 Vs Avonds F-15..... Do they fly the same ?

I know that the JHH F-15's mold is from Avonds, but Does it share the same flying characteristics with Avonds F15, If using the same turbine power.

I'm not trying to start a product war here. just curious.
Thanks n brg,
NICK
Old 06-27-2002, 07:49 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the outside, these planes are pretty much the same. Buck Garza built and flew the JHH version with AMT power. It appeared to perform just like the Avonds versions that I've seen flying on turbine power.

I built the Avonds version, albeit for fan power, and I couldn't see much difference on the outside. I believe (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong) that there's some difference in the hatch area. When I was trying to decide which way to go, I was told that the Avonds version (again, for DF) had about 70% fewer steps in the building process, so I ordered the instruction book from Jet Hangar for theirs (Larry Wolfe was kind enough to photocopy an inch high stack of pages for me for only $12) and decided that the single-engine version was more realistic for me.

I ended up selling the plane to Jay Powell who finished it and sold it to Corey Reese, who won Best Scale Flight with it at Best in the West!

Hope this helps (I know you need a big bird to compliment your Falcon)
Old 06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
NicholasT

Thanks Shaun,

The reason I'm asking is because I heard so much good word about the Avonds F-15.

And I just purchased this JHH F-15 from Lowell (the one that is built by Buck Garza) , and wonder if this bird has the similar characteristics with the Avonds F-15.

And also I'm thinking about installing the Dorsal airbrake made by Avonds, do you think it will fit ?

Thanks a lot n brg,
NICK
Old 06-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,

No prob. I don't know if the brake will fit, but I bet Buck knows. Someone will tell him you're wondering, and he'll respond in here. I think he's on deployment right now (he actually gets PAID to fly high-tech, tactical jet aircraft (lucky #@$!!)).

Wow, that plane really gets around! I hope you get some good stick time on it. I've seen Buck fly it at least half-a-dozen times, and it's solid.

Take care, and let me know if you need any help with the Falcon.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:41 AM
NicholasT

Yup,..thanks,..This will be my 3rd Y/A Falcon.
And I really enjoy it !
thx again n brg,
NICK

hmmmm..you wake up early huh ?
Old 06-27-2002, 11:37 AM
jrocket

The JHH F15 is a bit more scale than the Avonds single DF version. To allow a single fan to fit in the center of the fuse Avonds expanded the top and bottom in size to clear the engine cylinder head. A 5" turbine will just fit in the JHH. The Avonds brake will also fit the JHH F15 but the hatch line is not in the same spot on the JHH so modification to the parts are needed.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:14 PM
JetMang

JRocket is right. The JHH is the original 100% scale twin Avonds F-15. It's manufactured under liscence by JHH. The Avonds single has a deeper fuse to allow for a single fan on the centerline of the airplane. As far as flying characteristics, the twin fan version flys considerably faster than the single fan...but with two fans you're essentially looking at twice the thrust also. With a turbine (or two ), I would think that they would fly similarly.

Chris
Old 06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
sflaten

Default Speed Brake

To fit the speed brake on the Avonds, there is a change in the former located just in front of the hatch to support the hinge legs. The speed brake also lays over the top of the hatch contours and all the framing is set up for the Avonds hatch. If the JHH has the exact same hatch size and contours, it should be very easy to add. Added this on my Avonds during construction and it was an easy afternoon of work

Steve Flaten
Old 06-28-2002, 10:27 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default air brake install

Nick,

everything the boyz have written about the scale nature of the JHH Eagle is correct. It doesn't have the flat bottom fuselage that is found on the Avonds version. The Pegasus consumes the entire engine bay due to the twin hull design of the bottom of the fuselage.

Dr Ken Lee has a P-120 installed into his JHH Eagle and successfully installed an air brake. So, if you really wanted one (not necessary in my opinion) you could install one but you'll have to put the smaller diameter engines in the airplane. No doubt it looks cool but not necessary.

I utilized a gas powered leaf blower to cool down the engine post flight. just monitor the egt on the EDT and keep the cool air blowing through the airplane, while you are doing that begin the refueling and get ready for another flight.

I found that the fuel tanks didn't like being refueled with the drop tank connected. so, disconnect and fill independently, reattach once the main tanks are full. run it up, release the brakes, apply full elevator for takeoff and let the fun begin. she's a piece of cake to fly.

c'ya,
buck
Old 06-28-2002, 06:18 PM
Jr Jetter

Yeah,
And boy does the Avonds F-15 sure fly well even underpowered!
It's a blast not even challenging. I think that you would enjoy an Avonds.

Corey Reese