Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

US ENIGINES

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 05:40 AM
uby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US ENIGINES

I would like the recomendation of you people about buying the US enginies.

I have seen the 25 , 35 and 45 cc engines ina catalog and found them really cheap.

are these worth to buy ? i am most interested in the 35 CC .
are the relaible ? I want to use them just for sport flying ........ i.e just for flying bigger sized aircrafs.....

secondly another important thing i want to ask is that can these engines work for me in a pattren plane ? or in a 3D plane ?

I cannot spend more than about $250 for an engine .... and i found that US engine is better than converting some other engine. please tell me about any alternatives if possible.

And Please help me in making it clear for me which engine to buy.

Thanks in Advance
Usman.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM
BJH424
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: US ENIGINES

Uby I have 3 US41 and I am extremely pleased with thier reliability, ease in starting cost to operte etc. The people at US Engines are most helpful and prompt. The stortcomings are that they are heavy ie 4 Ibs. for 35 & 41 and they don't produce a lot of power. If your planning on going 3d I don't think they will work. They will probably work in a pattern ship depending on the model. I use them for large scale models where I need the weight and the power gives me scale like performance.

Cheers BH
Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also use the 41 CC. It is the same weight and size as the 35 but more power. I have it in a dynaflite PT-19 and it is awsome. Can do more maneuvers with it than most people can do with a pattern bird. It is a ton of fun and very impressive to see fly.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

If this engine is too heavy, or not enough power, you might want to check the marketplace ads on this site. You can find several better engines NIB or nearly new in that price range. You'll never regret spending a few more bucks for a lighter more powerful engine.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:07 AM
uby

Can you list some good enginies that are only a LITTLE more expensive but the performance is better than the US engines.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:13 AM
uby

What is the pattren plane that this engine can fly good ?

Also what size scale planes can it fly .... can it fly a 3 Meter extra or pitts ?
Old 04-29-2004, 08:03 AM
ZM2000
My Feedback: (1)

Better look for Zenoah G 45 or similar, US engines seems to be closing business.

-ZM
Old 04-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Zenoah G38 would be a fine engine for your requirements. Reliable, strong and well proven.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

U S Engines has taken over Quadra, so maybe they're in the process of changing things around...One of those things that sometimes happen...Maybe they should go back to basics.."If it ain't broke don't fix it" There are Q35s and 40s that have been flying around out there for 15 or 20 years, still going strong...[8D]
Old 04-30-2004, 05:33 AM
uby

What about this new engine :

I was going through the manufacturer's forum yesterday and found this :

NEW enter level gas engine . 40CC. total weight 1600g(56oz) ,including muffler and E-ignition , turn 18X8 to 20X10 wood prop. ( wide blade) , thrust over 18lb.

NX prop testing:

17X7 7800 RPM
18X8 6900 RPM
18X10 6500 RPM
20X8 6350 RPM
20X10 6100RPM
( new engine testing)

tomyrcmodels & melody model China

The price ini the us is about $269.

What about this enigne .... does it look better than the US engine ?

And I asked about the maximum size the US engine can lift ....

Thanks !
Old 04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
BJH424
My Feedback: (10)

US Engines is not going out of business in fact they have just launched a new website and have joined with the Quadra line of engines. I have just ordered a new Quadra 52. great engines! see their website at www. us-engines.com.
The US41's I have will turn a 18x10 prop at 6800 rpm and are not completely broken in. Hans at US engines beleives 7000 rpm should be attainable. I would say the Engine should fly most models up to and including 22 lbs ( my opinion) so much depends on wing loading etc.
Regards Brian H.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope the quality doesn't drop off like it did on the Quadra 35 and 42. 52 is a little on the heavy side comparatively, but a tough reliable engine.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:46 PM
old dog new tricks
My Feedback: (2)

I was thinking of installing a us 41 in a Great Planes Christen Eagle. I was wondering if someone else has done the same. How does it perform?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tomy engine is a new entry into the U.S. market with a mechanical advance ignition. I don't know anything about the reliability of the engine, or the power output, but the mechanical ignition is just fine. It's their own system, and relatively inexpensive. In the long run, mechanical ignitions perform just as well as auto advances, and don't have the break down problems.

It would be good for someone to give this engine a try in an appropriately sized plane to get some real world performance data. There could be a super sleeper here.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

If your looking for an engine to fly one of the larger scale type planes, a US41 is fine, if your looking for an engine to fly a "performance" type plane look elsewhere. Here are the facts, I own both.

Brison 2.4

All up flying weight - including battery ............... 3 lbs. 8 ozs.
RPM with an 18-10 MA Classic prop ............................ 8000

Q42 (same as but better IMHO than US41)

All up flying weight - including spring starter ............. 4 lbs. 8 ozs.
RPM with an 18-10 MA Classic prop ............................. 6900

My Brison has been in contant use for 7 years.

My Q42 has been sitting on a shelf for 11 years waiting for the "right" plane, maybe it never will.

It all depends on what kind of plane you want to fly, 1 lb. less weight and 1000 more rpm's is a HUGE difference.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
nchrome

Okay you guys I've got a Christian Eagle and I'm putting on a US41. I've already have one on my TF giant P-47 and it handles it just fine for me. I also have one on my HP200 and its been on there for a bout 5 years now and doing just fine. Turning an 18-10 I think but plane is out in the trailor no so can't make sure of the pitch. I do have one qustion for a few of you gasser buffs. On the US41 over on the carb side of the engine down on the seam of the crankcase there is a demple like thing there Can it be drilled for crankcase pressure for my smoke system. I realy need to know this in order to have smoke on my Christian Eagle. Can you guys help on this problem. Sorry to use your post for this uby
Old 06-22-2004, 02:08 PM
old dog new tricks

I would like to hear the results of the us 41 in the eagle. Do you have to cut the cowl for clearance?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:46 PM
nchrome

So far I don't have to do any cutting on the cowel. Now this is with a bennett smoke muffler. This is why I need to know about the **** on the side of the US41. Now I will have to either bend the pipes or cut them off and add a couple of 45 degree elbows to get the pipes out side the cowel. I'm still useing the stock ignitions system and the spring starter. Thats about it for now I don't have a scanner other wise I would post some pictures for you guys.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:05 AM
old dog new tricks

Thanks for the input. Please let me know how your Eagle flies when it is done. I am still a little ways away from flying mine.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 PM
nchrome

Well I have the US41 mounted on the Eagle with the smoke muffler. And am proceding with putting the flying wires on the tail serface. Cowel is drilled and cut as far as where the demples are on the cowel. Wheel pants are one and decided to paint the canopy black instead of detailing the interior. Am also hooking up a pull pull system using two servos for the rudder. The servos have 69 oz tourque so that gives me 138 oz of tourque on the rudder. Won't be fast but will be strong. Hopefully by next week end will be able to test fly it depends on whether I can get the smoke set up or not.