Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Time to re-cover, some questions...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Time to re-cover, some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to re-cover, some questions...

I have moved this here from Airplanes-Beginners due to lack of responses...

I was lucky to pick up a donated 40 size Big Stik, it has been flying great but is in strong need of a recover and minor repairs, (covering peeling away, repaired rips coming away, in general very sad). I have some questions:

1) Though I haven't taken off any covering from it yet, where it has come away the balsa is kind of tacky, and in some places greasy from fuel. What is the best way to get the balsa back in good shape to get the new covering to tack and adhere to it?

2) To recover the wing and ailerons well what do I do? Cut the old CA hinges out, recover and re-hinge in new spots?

3) How many 6 foot rolls will I need to get the same colour scheme back again (this time blue with white and Maltese crosses)?

4) Monokote or Ultracoat? Or other suggestions...

5) Anyone tossed away the plastic wing tips and made flat wing tips on their Stik? How did it fly?

6) Good mods to make at this time......

Thanks,

Adam
Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 AM
narpets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to re-cover, some questions...

Well here's my $0.02.

1) Heat the covering to remove. Will come off easier this way. Do a search here for drying out fuel soaked balsa. I've used K2R in the past with great results, but I hear it is now hard to find. Corn starch and acetone should work too. Mix to a paste; brush on; let dry overnight; and brush off. May need to do a few times to get it all.

2) I've had to recover a few planes a few times. If there is room, I'll cut off the CA hinges, and make new slots next to the old hinges. Don't try to slot above or below. Sometimes I didn't have the room so I just used sewed on hinges.

3) Not sure, probably 3

4) ULTRACOTE. I used to use Moneycote, but had to recover every 2nd year as the covering would shatter. Wasn't a problem with older Monocote, but the newer stuff ( last 5 or so years) gets really brittle and will shatter. I now have Ultracote covered planes that are about 4 or 5 years old. COvering is a bit dull from all the cleaning, but still nice and strong and tight.

5) Last Big Stick I had didn't use plastic, but this was years ago. I see no problem at all with using flat tips. Maynot be as easy onthe eyes, but in my experience the tips are only cosmetic. I even flew a plane for someone that had the tips on one wing pannel, and flat ont he other as that one broke off. Notticed no difference in the way it flew. If you like the tips, just add some balsa ones.

6) If not already a tail dragger make it one.